Tuesday, July 03, 2007
The History Lesson That Wasn't
My children have been naughty to each other today. They have been arguing over video games. Video Games!

The temperatures today reached close to 100 degrees so I was a little more lenient in letting them hang out in the house and play video games. Until the fighting over who was truly superior in the collecting gold coins and winning mini-games got to me.

At that point I threw them all in the pool.

I know, I know. It is my own fault. I just had to have the new Mario Party 8 game. Which I might add is awesomely fun (is that a word?) and no matter what my children say I AM THE MASTER AT COLLECTING GOLD COINS.

Ahem...now back to our story.

After they had been outside long enough for me to regain my sanity, umm, I mean to tire themselves out. I let them have some more time on the WI.

All was fine for quite a while until the three boys decided to double team their sister and frustrate the heck out of her.

When she decided enough was enough and took matters into her own hands things got a little out of control.

She pushed her younger brother and when he pushed back he forgot the WI remote was still in his hand. Unfortunately it hit her in the mouth. She now has a big fat lip. She is not happy.

At this point I told them no more video games and since they were having such a hard time getting along we would do some chores for a while to build our team work skills.

As you can imagine, they were all jumping up and down vigorously, but not for joy.

I tried to turn our chore time into a history lesson by reminding the children of this famous quote by Abraham Lincoln.



What with the 4Th of July tomorrow I thought it was a great quote and topic.

The children just thought I was crazy.

I was then given a lesson by my children about how video games are not like real life and just because they don't like each other (interpreted: are WAY to competitive) while playing has nothing to do with real life.

I am not really sure I agree with this.

However, they come by their severe problem of competitiveness naturally, hubby and I both hate to lose, so I have decided to cut them some slack.

However, the WI remote is never, never, (even accidentally) to be used as a weapon again.

A mama has to draw the line somewhere.

Labels: ,


  posted at 2:57 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 8:19 AM, Blogger missy said...

My hubby is so competitive like that! It is fun to play video games with him cause he gets all into it. He wants one of those Wii's so badly!! I'd hate to think of the damage he could do with one......

Hey, by the way, I tagged you to do the 5 things I dig about Jesus!! Stop by and check it out when you get a chance! Missy

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

Oh my gosh. Do you have mariokart? Cause if you do, I am so coming over RIGHT NOW!!!!! I was the mariokart champion against my brothers when nintendo first came out.

It is a badge I show proudly.

Mario lovers unite!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I'm competitive too. I can't help it. I guess I learned at some point to be a good sport--maybe because I lost a lot??

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a funny post! I think I am going to use the Lincoln quote today. Do you think it will keep my two year old from hitting her brother? :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Michelle,

Yes, we do have Mario Cart and you will be so proud to know that I can beat my kids and all their friends.

My kids think it is hysterical because none of the other moms can play video games.

Probably because they are actually cooking meals and paying attention to their children. lol.

Maybe we can get toghether sometime for a Mario Cart championship. Wouldn't that be cool!!!!

Now you all truly understand what a dork I am.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Hilarious! Sounds like your summer is going exactly like mine...:)

august 9th is coming soon....(that'd be when school starts back :)


lisa

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just came across your site tonight and want to say I like your idea of how to work a history lesson into family chores that were the result of sibling rivlary. Genius!!!

Mine are only 2 & 4...but I am taking notes, Sister!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Mandalyn said...

So funny! That quote is something I will have to put back for future use when my girls get older!!:)

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Joyfulness said...

Hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: