Friday, June 22, 2007
one of my proudest parental moments
All five of our children have taken their sweet time talking. For some reason they did not coo and jabber as other kids did. They were quite babies who did not start talking until well into their second year of life. By the time they were three they had all caught up, were talking in sentences, and we basically could not keep them quite.

All except Paige.

She will turn four next month and is still having speech and developmental delays. Her sentences consist of one or two words put together. I would say she has the vocabulary of a "normal" 2 1/2 year old. She doesn't really like to sit still. I have a hard time reading her a complete book without her getting up and walking around.

I wasn't concerned until recently. Her older sister had some speech dificulties and went to therapy until the 2nd grade when it was determined that she was "cured".

As time has progressed and she hasn't caught up Dave and I were realizing this was a different situation from that of her siblings. Her pediatrician threw the Autism word at us. I had a moment of panic, but after doing a little research on Autism I don't think she is Autistic. If she is it is a very mild case. I do however realize she has some developmental delays that need to be addressed asap.

So, we are having her tested for everything. She has appointments with speech therapists, occupational therapists, and a neurologist. She is also being evaluated by the school district speech department.

We had our first appointment yesterday.

With the speech therapist through our medical provider.

She was a very nice lady and Paige really liked her office. She had lots of fun toys that Paige enjoyed playing with while we talked.

She had some bubbles that Paige wanted to play with. The nice lady, Judy, said we would play with the bubbles after Paige looked at a book with her.

Paige did not want to look at the book.

She wanted bubbles.

Judy and I both told her she could not play with bubbles until we read the book.

She continued to be stubborn and refused to look at the book and say the words Judy wanted her to. She was not acting like a very nice little girl. I was having one of those mommy moments. You know, the ones where you are sure that a person thinks your child is a complete brat. The ones where you would like to crawl in a hole and hide from everyone.

After Judy tells her we are done, because it is apparent she will not be looking at the book today, Paige utters these four priceless words to her.

You A Stupid Head.

I was so proud. She actually said a sentence with more than two words in it.

Labels:


  posted at 4:49 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Searching for my Sanity or Jen...whichever you prefer... said...

lol that is a proud moment! I have had a few of those too! haha.

I am not a doctor and therefore not qualified to diagnose anything but from what you are sayin in your blog I would ask those speech and ot's about "sensory processing disorder" which is a neurological disorder that with the right therapy most kids will come out of. My son has it. No one told me the autism word but I was thinking it based on all of the things you just mentioned. However it was another mom of a sensory processing disorder child who tipped me off to ask about it. :) Good luck your doing the right thing getting the testing done. the earlier intervention the better. google sensory processing disorder and see what it says. :) Tht may not even be the case but thought i would throw that out at you as if you don't have enough advice haha. I love love love reading your blog!

Jenna

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I love how you are keeping a good attitude and sense of humor through out this.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

How funny! Well, the speech therapist got her to talk...it's working already!!!
=)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Mandalyn said...

I am laughing my head off! That's hilarious!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love meeting new "blogging" friends! I enjoyed my visit to yours, too!

Have a blessed weekend!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

First of all, thank you for stopping by my place! It's so nice to "meet" you! :)
What a wonderful mommy moment for you...LOL A complete sentence...that is one great therapist! heehee

I hope thing progress well as you continue with your little girl's testing.
I'm sure I'll be back...
Blessings!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

OH goodness, I guess she got her point across, didn't she? LOL!

Don't worry about what the therapist thinks; I can guarantee you she's seen kids (and even parents!) much worse than yours. That's one thing I've learned through therapy and counseling with my girls; there's always someone worse!

Good luck as you navigate the system to get her the help she needs!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Deedra said...

Man! That therapist is good! Even if she is a "stupid head"..lol

I'm so glad you "delurked" on my blog! And I'm really excited that you want to participate in my Friday challenge!

I love your blog! The design is great!

Have a great weekend!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Good for Paige! (in saying 4 words together in a sentence) I understand your happiness with hearing that. My nephew had some delays, and my bro and SIL were so happy when he would do something that "normal" children did, even if it was misbehavior which they had to discipline.

Good luck with the evaluations!

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

At least she got her money's worth -- LOL. I'm glad she's putting those words together and I hope she continues on this path. It's always worrisome for parents when children develop at a different pace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: