Thursday, December 11, 2008
Pinochle Anyone?
This is my 89 year old mother doing what she likes to do best. Playing a good hand of Pinochle.



Isn't she cute? I am the youngest child and she gave birth to me just a few months before her 45th birthday. I read once that women who give birth after 40 are twice as likely to live to be 90 as those who don't.

I found myself thinking about this the other day when I was pondering how slow our adoption journey has been. Maybe I should have just tried to get pregnant again?

International adoption is definitely not for the faint of heart. I have been having this nagging feeling over the last few weeks that we should change agencies and adopt older children. Our current agency won't let us go out of birth order. I understand their reasoning, but my heart feels like all of these man made rules are not allowing God to work in our lives. When we started this journey we really wanted to adopt children that were between Paige and Garrett in age. Their is a five year age gap (they are currently 5 and 10) and I really felt we should adopt children in this age range. Then we were told by our agency that we could not adopt out of birth order. It was not until much later that we found out this was not an Ethiopia rule but the rule of our agency. We thought at the time about switching agencies, we prayed about it, and I still wasn't sure.

However, I am having that feeling again. My stomach has been churning and I am feeling very unsettled. I do see the hand of God in our timeline. Paige is in a much better place to welcome a sibling into her world. I have talked before about how far she has come and we talk about her getting a new sister. She seems excited and asks when her new sister will get here.

God's timing was much better than mine. I can see that now. My only question is if he is now nudging us in another direction. We would lose money. People would think we were crazy. I want to have the peace that God is leading us toward the children that were meant to be ours. I am really not feeling that right now. Maybe I am in a pre-adoption funk and it will pass?

We are praying hard at our house for some guidance. Any additional prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Now, back to the cards.

This is the very cute cake my brother in laws mother made my mom for her birthday. If you play pinochle you will recognize it as a double jack of diamonds/queen of spades. This is called a double pinochle and is worth 30 points (or 300 if you don't drop the last number when you score). Needless to say she loved her cake.

Thanks so much, Shirley, for making it for her.

Now, just to confuse you a little more here are some of the men of the family. My Dad is sitting with the blanket on him, he is seven years younger than my mom. She was way ahead of her time on that front. The man on the right is Bill and he is my sister Stacey's father in law. My kids love him. The man standing behind them is my sister Candy's husband, Nino. All of these guys are about the same age. My sister is 18 years older than me and then she married a man 15 years older than her. I know our family is very confusing.

The funny thing about Nino is that I worked in his doctor's office (he was an anesthesiologist) when I was 16 as a summer job. It wasn't until many years later that he started dating my sister and they would marry. It's funny how life turns out sometimes.

Here is some of the crew playing there beloved game.
Three of my kids now play and grandma couldn't be happier about this. Well, as long as they are not beating her. She does not like to lose!
Here is Uncle Barry who moments after this picture was taken put Jo Jo under his jacket and tried to leave with her. As you can imagine Samantha would have none of that!

Well, that's what's been going on here. Thanks for all your prayer's regarding our adoption journey, as always, I will keep you informed.

Labels: , ,


  posted at 7:22 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Missy said...

Sounds like a fun family! I also want your little dog! She is too cute!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger McAngie said...

Maybe I should try having another baby after I turn 40 and live forever, lol!

Your family sounds fun, both of my Grandma's married men much older than them who had children their age. Strange, lol!

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

Love the family pics - we all have some strange family stories, believe you me!

As for the adopting thing: I'll pray for you for wisdom. I'm not surprised by your agencies rule. There are a LOT of agencies that have that rule. Even some countries, unless you go special needs. Hang in there - God will make it clear to you and hubby.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I don't envy the decision you need to make. God bless!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

And here I thought I should be done after my last miscarriage. Maybe we need to think again.

It was fun to read about your family!

Julie...I don't have any advice for you on the adoption front other than to hang in there. If you feel you are being led to another agency, and have prayed (and prayed) about it, then God will more than make up for any funds you've already spent. Adoption is not easy. I tell everyone it was my hardest (and longest) 'pregnancy' ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: