Wednesday, November 26, 2008
A Change In Plans
I wanted to take all of the kids to Disneyland today. They are all decorated for Christmas already and it snows every night after the fire works on main street. Truly magical, and I love it.

I had told the older boys that they didn't have to go to school today so they could go with us. Their Daddy didn't like this very much. He thinks I am way to lenient and let them miss to much school for fun days. He may be right, but I can't resist spending time with them. I love it when we are all together.

So, I broke the news to them that they would be going to school and we would make another trip soon (we have passes) when we could all go together. They were not happy and whined that none of their friends would be at school because everyone was headed out of town for the long weekend. I told them that their Dad was right and I do let them miss to much school. They would have to go.

Hubby and I have very different opinions on this subject. Our kids get excellent grades and are blessed with the ability to breeze through school with very little effort. So, I see no reason why they can't miss a day now and then (like once every six weeks) for a fun family day. He thinks I am teaching them bad habits and if it is a school day they should be in school. Lets just say we agree to disagree. However, in front of our children I support my husbands view, and let them know he is the final authority. Then we go into the bedroom where we talk privately and I plead my case because I am the biggest kid of all and want a day off to go and play. lol.

So, last night the older boys were at the kitchen table sulking while doing their homework. I had to laugh when their younger siblings would tease them that IF THEY were homeschooled they could go on our field trip to Disneyland.

A while later I walked through the room again and noticed they weren't looking quite as sad. I thanked them for being good sports about the whole thing when Zach chimed in that Dad had told them that if they did homework for 90 minutes without complaining they could go with us.

What a softy.

Unfortunately when we woke this morning rain was pouring down outside and we had to change our plans. Instead we are spending the day cooking yummy food for tomorrow, playing games together, arguing as only siblings can, and being happy we are all together.

We have the added bonus of having Hubby home with us. I think he is finally seeing the wisdom in my point of view. No work for him today. Just a day of family fun.

Labels: , ,


  posted at 2:28 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 2:52 PM, Blogger missy said...

I just loved everything about this post. Love your family!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger jolincountry said...

Oh man. I'm sorry you had to cancel after finally convincing dh to let them go.
Things work the same way in this house. I plead to dh but allow him the head of the household authority.
Have they bugged you yet about WHEN they can go? Mine would start in on me within 5mins flat.. lol

btw, when we lived in San Diego, we visited Disneyland once. Loved it!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Well, I can see both sides. Most kids need an exceptionally good work ethic to get through college when they realize it isn't as easy as grade school was, but then again, family is important too.

I hope you have fun there another time. I'm sure it would be wonderful with the Christmas decorations up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: