Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Last year I wanted to to take all the kids to The Glory Of Christmas at the Crystal Cathedral. However, with our adoption journey just beginning I decided we shouldn't spend the money for all of us to go, we would wait.


This year I was thrilled to find out that they have a Chrsitian School Day (which includes homeschooled kids) and you can get in for free if you donate canned goods for the needy. The performance was yesterday and we had a wonderful time.





This was an afternoon show and I would love to go back for an evenning presentation. You missed a little of the drama because their were no light effects (the entire building is crystal so the sunshine was coming through). Never the less, it was a wonderful way to start the Christmas season. Of course, I cried, thus embarrasing my children. Sorry kids.



The performance begins with a few minutes of ballet and singing. Garrett looks over at me and says loudly "You didn't tell me there would be dancing and singing, UGh, I hate that." To which I shot him the evil eye which quickly shut him up.


The kids loved the angels flying through the air. They dangled from the top of the cathedral 80 feet in the air above us. You defintely could not have a fear of heights for that job. Not only were they really high up they also went really fast. It said in the brochure that they reached speeds of up to 25 mph at times. It was truly something to see. You can go here for a little peek at the performance if you are interested.


The grouds and the building of the Crystal Cathedral are truly beautiful but their was something that made me uncomfortable about the whole thing. One of the ladies that was with us shared that her family had gone to this church when the Cathedral was being built. Each family in the church was asked to buy one of the crystal panels at a cost of $3,000.00 each. This was many many years ago when $3,000.00 was a lot more money than it is now. It seems if your family couldn't afford the money the church would help you secure a loan for the amount needed. Hmm, somehow this does not seem very Biblical. Also, there was a statue of the founder and pastor on the grounds. If my church put up a bronze statue of our pastor we would not be going to that church anymore. The bathrooms were beautiful with gold everywhere. I couldn't help but think how much good the money could have done for those in need. Did they really need a gold bathroom? Here is a picture of the outside of the Cathedral.
> Anyways, I am sure there are good things going on at that church and I didn't mean to get on my soap box, however, it all seemed a little over the top to me.


Here is Samantha and some of her friends with Balthazar after the performance. They introduced him as the King of Ethiopia. I had never heard this before. The kids and I got a kick out of the fact that the actor had lily white skin. Hmm.

For some reason this picture wouldn't flip for me so here is another picture of the girls. Samantha is on the left with her new prayed for homeschooled friends. God is so good.

....and just so Garrett wont feel left out, here he is with a few of his new buddies (he is on the right) acting crazy at the candy factory we visited a few weeks back. He has been blessed also.

If you live near by and have never gone to the Glory of Christmas I would encourage you to go. The story was truly beautiful. I am so thankful we had the opportunity to go (for free!!!).

  posted at 8:09 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Created For His Glory said...

Wow! I didn't know that about the C.C.! That does not seem very Biblical does it? :( 3.000 could feed and clothe a lot of people there in LA couldn't??? :)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I have always wanted to see the Crystal Cathedral. But...now after explaining the whole $$ thing and the statue...UGH. You are right, doesn't sound very Biblical to me either. Think of how many international adoptions could be funded with all that money.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger missy said...

I've always felt a bit weird about that church, and then recently began reading up on them when the younger pastor was dismissed...and the stuff I read was awful. Yet another church that has forgotten what it's all about.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

It looked like a beautiful show and an interesting experience. I have had the same feelings as you when I visit certain places.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Kimmie said...

Wow, what a great opportunity.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

I know what you mean about the extravagance. I do think that many of us, maybe especially those of us in the international adoption community?!, are more sensitive to those luxuries because of the mission we are on as families. To many in the rest of the world (church or secular) it doesn't seem like a big deal to have the gold and crystal everywhere . . .

I guess that we have to trust that their hearts were right and that their intentions were to glorify God.

But having said that, I do know what you mean. I do struggle with that "over the top" stuff when I see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: