Friday, May 23, 2008
The Yellow Water
Those of you who have been reading here for a while know that our youngest child, Paige (4), has some speech and developmental delays. When she started in her preschool program six months ago she was testing as a two year old for her developmental age. I just had her IEP meeting (individual educational plan) and was told she is now testing at 3 years 2 months.

She has made fantastic progress and her verbal skills have just exploded. We are so thrilled!

There is one area where Paige was refusing to leave her "baby" ways and grow into a "big girl".

Toilet training.

She refused to go to the bathroom in the toilet. She wears underwear all day long and then when she has to go "pee" she would either put a pull up on ( pee in it, take it off, throw away, put Cinderella underwear back on) or go stand in the bathtub and pee.

Doesn't it seem like using the toilet would be a whole lot easier????

We were aware (and had talked with the school psychologist about this) that this behavior was more about control than not being able to be potty trained. Basically, she was potty trained. She just didn't go in the toilet.

I had been patient with her and hoped she would just start using the toilet like her friends. It never happened.

Two weeks ago I decided enough was enough. I threw all the pull ups away and told her she HAD TO USE THE TOILET. She was a big girl and nothing else would be acceptable.

This kid is so unbelievably stubborn. For 9 days we went round and round and when she was finally tired of being disciplined for not complying, she went in and very unceremoniously used the toilet for the first time. She has stayed dry (night and day) now for about 10 days and I am so glad this little war is finally over.

We are still have some "pooping" issues but she is coming along and I think this will be resolved within the week also.

The first night, after she finally decided it was easier to just use the toilet, I was praying with her before bed. I was going on and on about how proud we were of her, and I guess I went a little overboard. In the middle of my prayer she puts her hand over my mouth and says "say Amen".

"I pray now" she tells me.

"Thank You for the yellow water in the potty, Amen" she says.

Oh how this girl makes me laugh and smile.

I am also very thankful for the yellow water in the potty. Now, if only the brown bricks could join it for the party this mom will be singing the Hallelujah chorus.

Labels:


  posted at 8:21 AM  
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 10:14 AM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

OMIGOSH! This is priceless. Hilarious and adorable. Way to go Paige :) And come on, little bricks :)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

You totally cracked me up ....

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

I love it. And I'm feeling you with the stubborn. My niece was so stubborn at the age of 3 she held it for a day and a half! Concerned, my sister called the doctor and he said bring her in--she should be emptying her bladder AT LEAST every 8 hours. When they got to the doctor he had her lay down on the table and he showed my sister just where to push on her abdomen and.....she peed EVERYWHERE--in the air, on the doctor. My sister was horrified and that little girl cried for 3 hours. Talk about stubborn!

Later in life, it will be a great character trait though, right?

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Crissybug said...

That is too cute. Good luck with everything. Potty training is definitely the part that I would like to just skip over!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

LOL WTG, Paige!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger LISA said...

Oh Julie! That's hilarious! I needed that today!!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

HOw cute! And this gives me some hope that the Certain LIttle Boy will be toilet trained one day too...

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, how funny. She sounds like a strong-willed one, but she is probably going places in life!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

I had a child who wouldn't potty train until almost 4. We ended up having to discipline, but it only took one day when we did that. He was speech delayed, too. He has LD, too, but now the speech delays are gone and he is doing so much better in school! We are hoping that he will not fail anymore classes this year, then it will be managable. But he is 15 and we are finally getting there, behavior, learning, everything!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Too funny. Potty training....my worst enemy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: