Thursday, April 03, 2008
We're Famous
Sometime Tuesday night the copper wiring was stolen out of the lights at the park my kids play baseball at. This seems to be an ongoing problem all over California. The thief's can make a good bit of money selling the wire to scrap dealers. We were told each field has $40,000 worth of copper wiring. We had three fields vandalized.

The local paper picked up on the story and called the house last night wanting to talk with Dave about the theft. You see, his team nor any others could play last night because we had not lights. No lights, no games. They also asked to speak with Garrett. Our nine year old was very excited to actually get to speak with a real live reporter. He let her know he was very disappointed about not getting to play his game last night.

The story ran this morning and Garrett's comments about being disappointed he couldn't play baseball as well as Dave's comments made it into the article.

End of story. Or so I thought.

Around 9:00 this morning my phone rings and it is a reporter from the local NBC station looking to speak with my husband. I explain that, well, he is at work. The local reporter would like to come to our home and interview either him or myself about the theft and how it is affecting our Little League. She can come now she says.

Umm, lady, I am in my pajamas and there is no way I am letting you and your camera in my house when I haven't even showered yet.

Well, of course I didn't actually say that. But let me tell you I was in a little bit of a panic.

It seems this reporter was doing a story on a string of copper wiring thefts and she wanted to interview someone from our little league for her piece on the five o'clock news tonight.

I had just the person for her. My good friend, Lori, who is our league president. Let's just say that Lori wasn't all that enthusiastic either when I told her I had a job for her. However, after the straws were drawn she got the short one, and alas, the television interview.

She met the reporter at our park around 11:00 a.m.. When she was done with that interview she received word from the city worker's that channel 7 (ABC) was on there way to interview her also. The channel 7 people interviewed Lori and also her very cute t-ball player son who I am sure charmed the pants off them. The ABC station is actually doing a live broadcast from the park at 5:30 so she had to go back. Something tells me this must be a very slow news day. Geez.

I really can't be bothered with reporters right now. You see, I have a real problem

I have some where special to go this weekend and I just can't decide what to wear. My normal jeans and a t-shirt just don't seem right for some reason.

Where am I going you ask? Why here......





That's right. I am taking my best 11 year old girl to the taping of "Idol Gives Back". It is being taped this Sunday night at the Kodak Theatre (home to the Academy Awards) and we are escaping for a little girl time.

She has no idea. She is at camp this week and will be home on Friday. I'm going to surprise her when I pick her up.

I can't wait.

Now, on to the important stuff. What should I wear? "Casual cool" (like I could actually be cool) or dressy?

Internets, seriously, I need your help. We are only sitting a stones throw away from Simon and I really don't want to get the "I can't believe you wore that" look from him. Look how he treated Carly? The man doesn't know when to just shut up.

Please Help!

Editors Note: I just saw the two interviews on TV and Lori did a great job. I can't believe how much time they spent on this story. Seriously, it must be a slow news day. On a happy note our city has done an awesome job getting things fixed and we should be able to have night games by Saturday. The kids will be so happy.



Labels: ,


  posted at 4:50 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

What a bunch of jerks to steal that wire!! Good for your son and everyone for doing the invterview -- I hope the theives get caught soon.

And SO cool about going to American Idol!! Will they let you take pictures?? I have no idea what you'd wear, but comfortable seems safe. (Unless you're in the mosh pit -- then you'd better wear armour, LOL.)

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Kristin,

I think I can take pictures. I am definitely bringing my camera. I hope to have some good shots to share with all of you.

Julie

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Opportunity knocked and you were in your pajamas????

Man, I never thought of a reporter calling! I just live in fear someone will "drop by." It would not be pretty around here. Now I have something even bigger to worry about!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger LISA said...

JULIE!!! I thought you were my friend!!! I wanna go to Idol Gives Back!!!! Samantha is gonna be so excited!!!Ya'll will have a blast!!I want details!!So make sure you post all about it!!
On the copper wire deal...I knew it was a hot commodity around here too, but i sure didn't know there was THAT much money in it! WOW!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I can't wait to hear your daughter's reaction. What fun.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Children's Hope International said...

How cool that you will be seeing Idol Gives Back! It's a great opportunity for both you and your daughter. What a fun surprise.

Enjoy yourself!

Jennifer N.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

How exciting!! I know you'll have an awesome time. As for clothing, I say go comfortable. Simon wears black or grey. He's comfortable, so you should be, too!! :0)
As far as the copper thing goes, my hubby the electrician sells all the copper he gets for lots o' cash. That mad money comes in real handy on vacations!! I've heard of people stealing any copper left on construction sites around here.

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Wow, that is exciting.

I know that I have heard that there have been a lot of copper thefts from houses that are being built.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: