Friday, February 29, 2008
An Early Easter
My brother called me a few days ago asking what was going on for Easter? I usually don't think about Easter in February so I was a little confused by his question.

I guess I am one of only a few people who were unaware that Easter is actually at the end of March this year.

What the heck?

Then my sister, the adventure girl, calls me from Rio (yes, they went to Mardi Gras) and says they are a little home sick and will be cutting their cruising season a few months short and will be coming home the end of March.

Yippie, I say, maybe you can make it for Easter. Easter, she questions? It seems she was also unaware of this strange occurrence of the early Easter celebration.

Unfortunately, they will not be arriving home until the 30th thus missing all the fun. She did not sound happy.

I was feeling a little annoyed that Easter was happening so early and seemingly messing up every ones plans.

That is until I checked my in box.

And found these fun facts about this years Easter celebration.

I thought I would share them with you. Then you can act all smart and sassy when some one you know comments on how early Easter is this year.

I am here to serve my friends.

Lets get started.

First, Easter is always the first Sunday after the 1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is March 20th this year).

What is the Spring Equinox you ask? Well, I will be happy to tell you.

There are two days each year when the daytime and nighttime hours are approximately equal -- each being 12 hours long. One occurs between March 19 and 21 and is called the Spring or Vernal Equinox. The other happens in September.

Secondly, the dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people used to identify Passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar.

I have to admit that I had no idea that this is how the date for Easter is picked each year.

I found out some other fun things on my Easter quest.

This year is the earliest Easter any of us will ever see the rest of our lives! Only the most elderly of our population have ever seen it this early (those 95 or older).

The next time Easter will be this early (March 23) will be the year 2228. That is 220 years from now people!

So, I guess I should just go buy my Easter bonnet and quit belly aching. It seems this years Easter will be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Labels:


  posted at 8:30 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

thanks for all the info!! i knew that at one time, but had forgotten about it. i think i'll incorporate this treasure o' knowledge into our homeschool. my kids will LOVE you for it...he,he ;) i, on the other hand, really do love you for it.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Instead of an Easter dress, you need an Easter parka.

I didn't know that about the dates either. I knew there was a process, but didn't know what it was.

Thanks!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Gretchen Magruder said...

seriously, though....this does cause tremendous problems when picking out cute little easter dresses for the girls.....they're all sleeveless or made for 70 degree weather....I don't know why the calendar people didn't take that into consideration :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Crissybug said...

I was shocked to realize that Easter was so soon too! Loved all the info. I knew that Easter was never on the same day each year, but didn't know the history behind it!

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: