Saturday, April 12, 2008
Going Home Again
Have you heard people say that you can't go home again? Well, today I did.

When I was a sophomore in High School I had a friend who invited me to her church's youth group. I went that Thursday night and also attended on Sunday mornings. I not only met Jesus in those early days of attending church but I also met some of the nicest people I have ever met in my lifetime.

I was 15 and really excited about this new thing I had discovered called Christianity. My mom decided she should go to church with me on Sunday and make sure I hadn't fallen into some cult or child trafficking enterprise.

She came. She found Jesus. We were both baptized.

My Dad also started attending the church and my parent's got involved in the couples ministry and made some really great friends.

My years at that church during High School and College were some of the best of my life. We had a wonderful youth group and I made several life long friends there.

I met my husband at that church and married him there in front of all the people I had grown to love like they were members of my own family.

One of those people died this past week. Her name was Patricia and she was the mother of one of my High School friends as well as a member of the church group my parents socialized with.

I loved going to Pat and her husband Bud's house. It was warm and cozy and made me feel happy. We had many a happy game night in there family room.

I was so saddened to hear she had died from breast cancer this past week. I hadn't seen her in probably 15 years but I still felt like she was a special part of my past.

My mom and I went to her funeral today. At that same church. The one where I met Jesus.

Nothing had changed.

The church still looked exactly the same. When I walked through the doors of the sanctuary I felt like a large blanket had just enveloped me in warmth and comfort. I was home.

I don't feel this way when I enter the doors of our current church. I'm not exactly sure what that means.

We saw people we hadn't seen in a decade. Old friends. Twenty years had passed since I had seen many of these people and yet it was as if time had stood still.

I was home.

One of my old High School buddies is now the pastor of the church. Many of the kids that were in that same youth group attend with there families now.

Same church. Same families. Same warmth.

If this church were not 70 miles away from our home I would be attending there every Sunday. However, it is just to far away.

We attend what would be called a "mega church". We have attended this church for all but two of the past 16 years. It is the only church our children really know.

I was wondering on my drive home today if my kids weren't missing something special by attending such a large church? Yes, we have many friends. However, what I feel is missing is a intimacy with those worshiping around you.

My kids didn't know what a potluck was until a few months ago.

The potluck is one of God's greatest creations (c'mon, you all know you agree with me.).

Sigh.

I feel God nudging us towards making a change. Hubby feels the same thing.

My feelings after today seem to be solidifying this fact.

I think I may be writing a blog post soon with the title "How Many things Can One Family Change In Their lives in one Year"?

I think God has picked 2008 to kick our family in the butt and he wants us to stir things up a little, make some changes, and leave our comfort zone.

OK, Lord, I am here to listen. Again, I can't wait to see where this crazy ride called life will take us.

Labels: ,


  posted at 9:03 PM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

How many changes can one family make? Um, have you not read my blog????

I know how it feels. We are in the process of making a church change too.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Kimmie said...

Julie;

Sorry to hear about losing your friend.

Glad you were able to go home...remember God is in the changing business, and as you are part of the family, you are in good hands.

be stretched and enjoy the journey!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

First, I'm sorry for the death of your friend
Second, Girl!! I do know what you mean! I really see God moving in many of the lives around me and He's speaking change over us all.
Third, potlucks RULE! How sad for your children. Do I need to report this to your democratic brother? I bet he's having potluck...

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh Julie! Change is such a hard topic - hard to discuss and hard to live through. But I keep hanging on to the One who never changes and trusting that the other things that do change are for my better. I know how you feel - it's been a rough couple years of changes and adjustments for The Gang also.

And yes, potlucks are The Best. (said in Jack Black's weird voice from Nacho Libre)

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your loss, but I am glad you were able to go back to your "roots." It's special when you are able to remember where you have been.

We attend a church that is around 300 people. I do believe it is such a blessing to have a more intimate setting although I am sure there are positive and negatives to any number (and it's all relative; my in-laws attend a church of 100, so they think ours is big). And, I agree that potlucks are the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: