Thursday, October 18, 2007
Sixteen Years Ago Today.......................
I became a mother.

For as long as I can remember it is all I had ever wanted to be. When people would ask "What do you want to be when you grow up"? I would always answer the same way, from a young child to a young adult, "I want to be a mother".

I have no idea why I had such a strong desire to do only this. My friends could do both, have a career and be a mother, why couldn't I?

Simply, I had no desire for a career. I finally came to the realization that this was God's plan for my life. While others are sent down a different path, this is the path I chose. The one I truly believe I was born for.

I got married young by most standards. I was 20 (almost 21) and my hubby was 24.

If it had been completely up to me we would have immediately started a family. However, hubby was still in school full time working on his doctorate and their was no way I could stay home. I had a hard time leaving our dogs when I went off to work so I knew their was little chance I would want to leave my child. So, we waited.

For three long years I waited until hubby was out of school. When he finally did graduate it took another three long years for me to get pregnant.

The day I found out I was pregnant with our child was the most joyful of my life. We were both so excited. The thought of having to wait eight more months to meet our child was almost unbearable. Little did I know then how much I would really love being pregnant. I loved every minute, every kick, every little arm or leg sticking out through my stomach, it was magical and wonderful and such a blessing.

Here is a picture of me the night before going into the hospital to deliver my sweet first born.



Um, I'm really not sure what was going on with my hair? I obviously had on no makeup and that night gown was a little small. Oh well, here I am in all my glory. Obviously so happy (and a little nervous) to meet my new baby in the next few hours. I have to laugh at the little "what a site" sticker at the top of the picture. I scanned it our of our oldest's baby book. I obviously wasn't all that impressed with my hairdo even way back then.

Twenty hours of labor later I received this sweet bundle into my arms.








Yes it hurt, yes it was hard, and yes it was so so worth it.

I had asked for an epidural and thought to myself, man, if this is how much it hurts with an epidural it must really hurt with out one. My epidural line had fallen out of my back, no one noticed, I had natural child birth without ever realizing it. It made me feel much better to know I wasn't a complete wimp. lol.

Zachary Alexander came into our lives that day and life has never been the same.

He was the best baby. Slept through the night (12 hours) when he was six weeks old. He always had a smile on his little face and enjoyed going out and experiencing new things.

Here you are at your first trip to the zoo with your Dad.


















A smile always met me when I would go in to pick you up after a nap.
















Zach, it has been such a privilege to be your mother for these past sixteen years. Your Dad and I love you so much and are so proud of the young man you have become. You have big goals for yourself and no one will ever be able to say you didn't reach them because you didn't work hard. You work harder on your dreams than anyone I have ever met (though your room could use some of that same determination in getting it cleaned up a little).




Remember, Zach, trust God and seek his will for your life. You are a strong person, a good brother, and a great son. I have no doubts he has great things planned for your life.

Love,
Mom

  posted at 9:50 AM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 11:50 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

What a wonderful post!! Happy Birthday to your son! Does this mean he is going to start driving?

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Virginia Revoir said...

Sniff...

That was awesome.

I always wanted to be a mom but people always told me I'd never be good at it. It really discouraged me and it really made me doubt I could be one. But 5 kids later I realized they were wrong. God gives us the strength to become great moms. Just because I was a rebellious teen, doesn't mean some day I wouldn't grow up and learn to put other before myself. I got married when I was 19 and had my first kid at 21. I regret nothing. :)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Heidi and Jenny,

Yes, he could drive now. He is so busy with sports and school that he hasn't finished his class to be able to get his permit. I must say I am not at all disappointed by that. He said he is going to finish this weekend though because our state makes you have a permit for 6 months before you can get your license. He wants it by summer. Yikes.

It might be nice to have another driver in the family though.

Thanks for your sweet comments,
Julie

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday!

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture of you with your newborn. So precious.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

oh how wonderful!! What a great celebration of a life-changing day.

I love your thoughts on just knowing your path would be different and it would mean being at home with kids . . . such peace in finding that this path is the way for me, too.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

What a sweet story! I was like you...always knew that I wanted to be a mother! I did go to college and started a career, but after my first was born, I was done with it. First, I went part time, but by the time number 3 came along, I was ready to stay home full time. It has been a great journey so far. My children are now 11, 9, and 8.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Melody said...

Happy Birthday to your boy! And congratulations to you...raising a teenaged boy is a truly difficult feat these days and you and your man seem to be doing a great job!

By the way, I just have to ask how your other son got the Express T-shirt? When I first saw it, I thought we must be neighbors! But we are soooo not anywhere close, and now I'm curious as to how he came to wear our hometeam's shirt. Such a small world!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Happy Birthday to your son! Great belly picture! I have one of me with my first son too. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am enjoying looking through yours!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

I forgot...my friend Lisa (Thoughts from the Teahouse - the link is on my sidebar) is adopting from Ethiopia and they will have their baby in a month or so! She has video of the orphanage posted right now...just thought you might like looking!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Oh how sweet! He is one lucky boy to have a mom like you. I know what you mean about wanting to be a mom from little on up. I never wanted a career either. I quit my job when I was pregnant with #3 and was so happy!

Great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: