Friday, October 05, 2007
Yummy Holiday Favorites


Overwhelmed with Joy is hosting this wonderful Holiday Recipe Carnival.

I am so EXCITED. I love the holidays, I love recipes, and I love to EAT.

This carnival is perfect for me.

I kept going back and forth on what recipe to share and then finally decided on my families favorite holiday cookie. If you like pumpkin you will LOVE these. They are light and fluffy and oh so YUMMY. My sister Stacey gave me this recipe a few years ago and they quickly became a family favorite.

Soft Pumpkin Cookies:

1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup solid pack pumpkin
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream butter, egg, and sugar together. Add vanilla and beat until fluffy. Sift flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together. Add flour mixture and pumpkin alternately to butter and sugar mixture. Drop by rounded Tablespoon fulls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven. Makes 3 dozen.

I always double this recipe. The neighbors looks forward to receiving these in their gift baskets each Christmas.


The second recipe is a simple one that my kids and hubby love. I usually make them for family holidays. Many of you may already make these but I had to include them. So EASY, and SO totally delicious.

Lil Smokies in the Crock Pot:

1 lb. bacon
1 pkg. lil smokies (if you buy the big package from Costco or Sams you can double the recipe)
1 box brown sugar

Cut bacon into thirds. Wrap one cut piece of bacon around 1 Lil smookie sausage and place toothpick through to hold. Place Lil smokie on baking sheet. Continue doing this until all sausages are wrapped in bacon. Cover the top of the smokies with brown sugar. I just do this by site but I would guess I use about half the box of brown sugar.

Cook smokies in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Take smookies out of oven. Turn over. Sprinkle other side with remaining brown sugar (just enough to cover them) and put back in oven for 30 minutes.

When the smokies are done place in a crock pot on low. Be sure to put all the caramelized yummy goo in their too. They will keep well in the crock pot for several hours.

These are always a huge hit at any party we have. Thanks Kathy for the recipe.

Remember, if you want to check out other family favorites, click on over to Overwhelmed for all the fun.

Labels:


  posted at 6:32 AM  
  12 comments



12 Comments:
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

These will be perfect for our "Fall" party we are having here in 2 weeks. Thanks for sharing!

JEnn

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I am printing this out.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

These pumpkin cookies look fantastic. We really love pumpkin around here and I'm going to have to try these!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

I need to try those pumpkin cookies, they sound sooo delish! As for the smokies, I make something similar but instead of brown sugar I pour maple syrup on them and broil in oven until done:-) xo

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Love smokies and pumpkin, I'm definitely printing these out :)

BTW, I LOVE your blog header :)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Cristina said...

I foudn this carnival and boy is it chock full of good stuff! That cookie recipe sounds fabulous!
I'm going to try it out on the high school football team. Im sure they'll love 'em!
Thanks.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom makes those little smokies. They are a hit every time!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger With His Grace said...

Thanks for sharing this!

Let me know how you like the GB Casserole too!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Those pumpkin cookies sound fabulous! :) And I've made that smokies recipe and it always turns out perfect!

Thanks so much for participating in the 2nd Edition of my Holiday Cooking, Blogger Style recipe exchange! I greatly appreciate it!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the lil smokies. Haven't had those in years. The cookies sound good, too. Thanks!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Julie, me again:-) Just wanted to let you know I made your pumpkin cookies yesterday and they are indeed delicious!! I posted about them on my blog today and linked the recipe to you:-) xo

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM AND YUM. I gained three pounds just reading this post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: