Friday, October 12, 2007
Memories From Sixth Grade
Today as I was taking one of our morning trips through the drive thru I got a glimpse into the restaurant and saw four young boys sitting down at a table together for breakfast.

This particular fast food joint is close to the junior high so many friends meet in the am for breakfast together at this fine establishment of culinary delight.

One of the boys eating his breakfast looked just like my sixth grade crush. He had long blonde hair (to the shoulders) and it was feathered back in the front. He carried his skate board and walked with a swagger that said "Yeah, lady, I know I am hot".

For a moment I felt like I was back in sixth grade pining for Richard Zerky. All the girls liked him. He was totally cool. Not very bright, if I remember correctly, but totally cute.

My family lived by the beach at the top of a very big hill. Richard and his friends would show up on the weekends or after school to ride their skate boards down our very long hilly street.

My friends and I would sneak out to secretively watch them, though I am sure they knew we were their. I thought Richard was the dreamiest boy ever. Unfortunately, he only had eyes for Stacie Olson. I knew in my heart he was way out of my league.

One Saturday afternoon Richard showed up to skate down my street. My girlfriends went out to watch him (I was gone with my family somewhere that day) and came up with what they thought was a brilliant idea. They would write love letters to Richard and sign my name.

They scurried into the house and wrote several letters to him professing my unyielding love and admiration, signed my name, and ran outside to deliver them to him.

When I got home they were so excited to tell me what they had done. I was, of course, mortified. How could they have done this to me?

I was so sick to my stomach over the whole thing I refused to go to school on Monday. How could I face him and his friends? My mom told me to be brave and just explain to him what happened. I didn't write the notes, my friends did.

So, Tuesday morning I went to school, dreading it with every step I took. When I walked into the classroom I felt like every eye was upon me. In truth, I am sure they were, my love letters had become a thing of legend in the 48 hours since they had been written.

Our sixth grade class had been working on creating products for a store we were to hold for some of the other classes. Each group came up with a product to sell, had to plan out the design, cost, and advertising strategies for their product. Guess who's group I was in? You guessed it, Richards and Stacie Olson's. Ugh.

Our teacher told us to break into our groups to get to work. My group was sent outside to work at the picnic tables. Just Great! This meant I would be alone with Richard, Stacie and few of "their" friends. I was definitely out numbered.

Immediately upon reaching the picnic tables Richard says to me (I will never forget this) Julie, Julie, Julie, why did you write me those pathetic letters? You know I could never like you, you aren't my type.

Turning bright red with embarrassment I tried to explain that I hadn't written the letters. Lisa and Donna wrote them as a joke and signed my name. "Sure, yeah right" he said. It was no use. No one would believe I didn't write the letters and my "good" friends wouldn't admit they wrote them. I was doomed.

Years later this incident still bothers me. When I think about it I can still feel the embarrassment and pain of that 12 year old girl.

Just to look at that boy through the window could muster all this back up in my head over thirty years later.

Why is this Internets? Do you have memories of long ago that rear their ugly little heads every once in a while?

I witness this same type of drama in my own teens life and wish I could take it away. Oh, the joys of youth.

Proverbs 17:27
A man of knowledge uses words with restraint,
and a man of understanding is even-tempered.


Proverbs 21:23
He who guards his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself from calamity.


Editors Note: Several years later I saw Richard at a High School Football game. I had left my ugly duckling stage and blossomed into a swan. He came up to talk with me and asked if I would like to go and get a coke. "No thanks" I responded "Your not really my type". I don't think he knew who I was, though I heard someone told him later. I would have loved to have seen his face when he found out. Hee hee hee.

Labels:


  posted at 9:26 AM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 11:33 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I have moments when I remember something that happened when I was a teenager and the feeling comes back again...even the physical embarrassment and everything.

I think, though, that maybe these kinds of things need to happen to make us into the confident people :) we are today?? Just taking an optimistic view of it all.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

That was a grrreat story..
and OMG...
I am with ya...and heidi!!!!!!!!!

It's crazy huh!!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Katherine@Raising Five said...

Oh, every 12 year old's nightmare! Love unrequited. I have many of those memories documented in my journals that are stashed away in my attic. It's funny how, after all these years, I have NEVER gotten them out to read them. I suppose I should go back and face that embarrassing time!

Thanks for sharing that story. As you know, we are well into the thick of teen/tween angst around here!!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger lori said...

I have those 12 year old nightmares too...one night my friend CALLED saying it was me...math class next week was mortifying...I was a "D" and he was a "D"...sat right next to me...AGGGH...He couldn't have sat across the room...I think it was awkward for the rest of the year!!

NOW, I get to use those experiences on my soon to be 13 year old...maybe that is why God "allowed" it in the first place..He knew someday I'd pull it out of my 'past.'
What a great post...
Great way to spend a few stolen Saturday moments before the 'Day' begins!
peace,
lori

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Deedra said...

Yeah, I definitely have some of those "12yr old" moments I'd rather forget. I never thought about it like that but i sure like the positive spin Heidi puts on it!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Kellan said...

I loved this sad story. I know it comes from pain, but it is so apart of what makes people what they are. I have stories that rear their ugly head, as well. I believe it is all those events (good and bad) that build character. We have to have to bad to truly appreciate all the good. I enjoyed reading this story - thanks.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Oh... yeah... I have those moments too. Kind of weird, but kind of cool how it all feels so real again... in a kind of not so cool way! LOL! NOt sure it that made sense! Music does it for me. I can hear a song and go right back to be 12 again!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Kathyb1960 said...

When I was in 5th & 6th grade I had a crush on the cute boys is this one family who went to our church. One was a yr older, and the twins were a year or two younger. Well, it just so happened they lived next door to one of my good friends, & that was about a mile away from me.

So, sometimes my best friend & I would go to her house to visit (LOL) and we'd play in the back yard--ESPECIALLY if we heard the boys back there.

Also, they had to go by our houses to get to the Jr. High. There was a group of about 7 of us who would walk to and from school together, and every day after school we would follow Jeff into the 7-11! LOL Ohhh those were the days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: