Wednesday, October 03, 2007
The Cavemen
OK, people, who saw ABC's new show last night "Cavemen"?

My teenagers really wanted to watch this show so we all sat down for a little family TV viewing. I didn't really know anything about the show but since it was on at 8:00pm I wasn't really worried. I should have known better.

Within the first few minutes of the show their were at least 4 sexual references that weren't very subtle. The content was definitely not appropriate for good fun family entertainment. We only watched those first few minutes and then switched over to a rerun of Extreme Makeover Home Addition.

My teenagers weren't happy. They thought the show was GREAT!

Friends, what ever happened to the family hour? Why can't we get networks to give us shows at 8:00pm that won't make you blush and cringe?

Our family hasn't really been watching a lot of TV lately for this very reason. High School Musical, Sponge Bob Square Pants, and lots and lots of baseball and football have been pretty much it.

After we watched Dancing With the Stars (which my best girl and I love!) I really started stewing over this whole thing.

What could I do?

After much thought (about 5 minutes worth) I decided to send ABC an email.

I asked them why they had a not so family friendly show like Cavemen on at 8:00pm and yet their very family friendly show, Dancing With The Stars, is on at 9:00? I explained my concerns and asked them to consider families when planning their schedules.

I realize this email will probably have little impact. However, it made me feel better to do something. For any of you who would like to do the same you can click here and leave your comments for ABC executives. Maybe if enough "mommies" start making some noise we can get some action.

I feel much better just knowing I have at least given them my opinion.



Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Proverbs 4:23-24

Labels: ,


  posted at 4:49 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 5:28 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Good for you. I find that constantly irritating too. At 8 pm the other night, PBS was showing a concert, some rap person who was swearing quite a lot. ON PBS!!!!

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! It is amazing to me how trashy programs are now!

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I popped over after seeing your note and appreciated this post!

We've almost completely given up on television for that reason (also *time* in that we can't find the time to watch it!) and more.

I think the more they hear from people, the better. You might be surprised, too, the impact of a letter/e-mail. My brother works in advertising, and it's amazing how much weight a letter has when making marketing decisions.

I didn't see the show, so I can't write about that. But I will keep it in mind next time I see something that strikes me similarly.

Thanks for dropping by at my place, too!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Our girls love DWTS, too, and they have to take a nap just so they can stay up that late to watch!

Thanks for the reminder that if we don't make our opinions known, nothing will ever change.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Oh how I could rant on this all day...You can't even let the kids watch commercials without having to explain much more than they are ready to hear!

Thankfully, my kids love to watch Survivorman...He doesn't get to risque...:)

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Robin Green said...

Yes, we don't even have cable for this very reason. We did get to watch Dancing with the Stars while on vacation--it was good--except those female outfits were a bit risque in some cases. I would just love to have something good and clean on tv again. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I have enjoyed my visit here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: