Monday, June 11, 2007
our home has turned into a third world country
Due to the new tile being installed in the upstairs bathrooms we have only one very small bathroom for the seven of us to use for the next few days.

On Saturday, when the toilets were pulled out, our oldest daughter asked me where she was suppose to go when mother nature was calling her name? "To the downstairs bathroom" I replied. "Where all the boys will be going"? she asks with a disgusted look on her face.

Our daughter avoids at all cost going into any bathroom that her brothers may have called home. As she puts it "They are disgusting beasts and I don't know how you can stand them"! Are you feeling the love people?

Well, any of us with sons (or a messy hubby) can probably understand where she is coming from. Hubby and I usually share our bathroom with her to spare her the indignity of using the same bathroom as her brothers, however, ours was out of commission too. She is just going to have to live through the next few days, I am sure there will be lots of drama.

Saturday night I was trying to explain to everyone that they would need to take showers that night and not wait until the morning or we would never get to church in time. Oldest son asks how we can possibly all get ready in that one little bathroom? "To start, you will need to plan ahead and maybe get up more than 20 minutes before you are expected to be in the car". Here is the rest of our conversation:

Son: Is this how really poor people live?

Me: What? (Completely exasperated)

Son: You know, all those people living in the third world. Do they have to share one bathroom with a bunch of people?

Me: (Trying to keep my cool) Umm, son, those people you speak of would be thrilled to have one bathroom to share with a bunch of people. They would also be jumping up and down for water that came out of a sink in there house, a closet full of clothes, and cupboards full of yummy food.

I won't bore you with my entire lecture but I can assure you I gave this child (and the others) the appropriate tongue lashing.

The kid's middle school takes a mission trip each year to Mexico to help out with the people who live at the dump. I think this year our entire family will go. That should be an eye opening experience for them all.

The tile work is being done by a friend of ours who does it as a side business. He also has a regular 9-5 job, so the completion of the work is taking a little longer than expected. However, he is charging us a fraction of the price and doing a great job so hubby and I really don't care about the inconveniene. He has been a little concerned about not completing the entire job over the weekend.

Today I will tell him not to worry about it.

I definitely think it will be good for our family to share that one little bathroom for a few more days.

Labels:


  posted at 8:51 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 11:02 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Great post Julie! And a good attitude to boot!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Oh, I can just IMAGINE the lecture that ensued!

I do totally empathize with your oldest daughter's hesitance to share a bathroom with boys. There are days when I wish I had my own bathroom!

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

We've become so spoiled, haven't we? Great post!


I hope you post pics of the new bathrooms when they're done!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

I would have loved to be a fly on that wall! :)

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Valtool said...

Im so glad I stumbled on here..I can only imagine what you said to her...I cant wait for those moments

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: