Friday, May 25, 2007
the great long neck adventure
When our oldest daughter was in 2nd grade her class learned about dinosaurs. As a class project each student along with one or two partners would create a giant (5 or 6 foot long) dinosaur of their choice out of paint and large rolls of paper. Our daughters group made a triceratops. He was painted beautifully and displayed at open house. The next day the teacher held a drawing to see which students would get to take their creations home. My daughter won and excitedly ran to the car the next day carrying the giant dino which was twice as big as she. At that time I had nothing hanging in the upstairs hallway so we decided to hang her beautiful dino their for a while. Well, a while turned into around 18 months. Until one day we decided it was time to paint the upstairs and Mr. Dino was given a proper burial.

For the past year I have been collecting and purchasing picture frames to create a wall of history in our upstairs hallway. I have some wonderful old photos from both sides of the family and thought it would be fun to line the upstairs walls with them starting with the oldest photos and ending with a picture of our family.

Recent events have led me to believe I have more time to prepare this project than I had thought.

Garrett is now in the 2nd grade. He has the same teacher that Samantha had. We went to open house and guess what Garrett showed me first? His GIANT long neck. Which is what we call them at our house being big fans of the Land Before Time movies.

"I hope I win it!" He announced excitedly. "Yeah, um, me to" I said with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. What in the heck would I do with this thing? It was at least 7 feet long. He had made it bigger than his sisters! "Oh, well, I thought. They really did do a great job on it and we can always hang it from the ceiling in his room".

The next day while waiting outside the school I see Garrett walking out. Carrying his seven foot dinosaur. He had the biggest smile on his face! "I won the drawing!". "Great!" I say. "He will look awesome hanging in your room". "My room? We always hang our dinosaurs in the hallway!"

I could not win this argument. Nor would I really want to. My wall of history will just have to wait. We have a long neck coming for a visit.

Here he is in all his glory.



Garrett is so proud!

Labels:


  posted at 8:30 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 10:15 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Really nice story. That is so funny that they both "won" the dinosaurs.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

That is a hoot!

I loved this part especially, "We always hang our dinosaurs in the hallway". : )

I love how you tell or do something once with a kid and it's the law. :)

Have a fun weekend!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Wow! That IS a big dinosaur! Don't you love how you do something once and kids think it's ALWAYS done that way? Too cute!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

LOL, Oh, Julie -- that's such a cute story. Great project, too! Enjoy your art for awhile (and I love the family history idea.)

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Many bloggers, including WW participants, will be flying Peace Globes in the blogosphere on Wednesday, June 6, 2007. It is BlogBlast for Peace day - the second annual event. Please consider using your Wordless Wednesday platforms on this day to participate. You can find more information about the movement at Mimi Writes or BlogBlast for Peace
http://mimiwrites.blogspot.com or http://mimilenox.blogspot.com
Thanks and peace!
Mimi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: