Monday, August 31, 2009
Grocery Challenge
Mary, of Owlhaven, is hosting her grocery challenge again this year. I am always amazed at how she seems to stretch her dollars. She is going to try and feed her large family on $75.00 a week for the month of September.

I was intrigued last year when she did this so I am going to "try" and stretch my grocery dollars a little farther in the month of September also. Even though our family is half the size of Mary's I don't think I can swing the $75.00 number. I usually spend about $200.00 a week for the 7 of us. I am going to try and half that and only spend $100.00 this month.

I spend most of our grocery money on fresh fruit and milk. I spent $50.00 at the Farmers Market on Saturday for a weeks worth of fruits and veggies. Another $200.00 at the market for everything else. I went a little over last week as I hadn't gone shopping the week before and we were really low on staples. So, I wasn't to upset by the extra money I spent.

My family isn't to sure about this challenge. When I told them they needed to drink more water and less milk their scowls pretty much told the story. I think it will be good for ALL of us to learn to get buy on a little less.

Plus, the money we save can go into our adoption fund. I really want to be able to take our teenagers with us when we go to Ethiopia.

Anyone else up for the challenge? Visit Mary for all the details.

  posted at 9:38 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Gretchen Magruder said...

Just came from Owlhaven, and now you're on board, too...I'm feeling very convicted but very lazy about budgeting (can you feel those 2 things at the same time??). Okay, I think I'm in....probably....we'll see :)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Gretchen, you are so funny. Come on girl, YOU. CAN. DO. IT..

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Dustine said...

I love the name of your blog. :)
I'm doing the grocery challenge too and look forward to hearing some good ideas for stretching the buck.
Blessings

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Dawn said...

We spend lots at the farmers market too. Do you have a bulk section to your market? That pulls the cost down a lot. My kiddos voted to drink only water and our stock of tea for the month of September and keep dessert. We are a dairy free family already because of allergies.
Blessings,
Dawn

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck in the challenge! It's gonna be tough but here's hoping all of us challengers can do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: