Thursday, April 30, 2009
I am being punished for making fun of the swine flu in my earlier post. I really did feel like the media was blowing things way out of proportion, but now that it is knocking on my front door, I'm not so sure I'm not a little scared.


Two schools in our town closed today because their had been confirmed cases of swine flu. Zach came home at lunch and said the other High School in town had been closed and his teacher's were saying that most likely his school would close tomorrow for at least a week.

When I dropped Paige off for her kindergarten class this afternoon the bus drivers were telling me they were running late because all of the buses had to be disinfected. It seems a student who rode the bus had come down with the virus.


I am really not that worried about my older children. If they get it I feel they are healthy enough to fight it. However, Paige had pneumonia as a baby and her respiratory system is not quite as strong as the rest of the kids.

The High School is suppose to be closed for at least seven days. I think we will all just hunker down at home and watch movies and play games. I don't want to panic, but I also don't want to ignore it. If any of the kids start feeling flu like symptoms I am sure my calm will quickly disappear. It's a good thing hubby is not one to panic.

I went to Walmart this morning and half a dozen people were walking around with masks on. It made me feel like I was in the middle of a sci fi movie.


My sister and her husband are in Mexico right now docking their boat and they are due home next week. Please pray for their safety and protection from this virus. Also, I am worried about my mom who does not have a very strong immune system right now, it would be very bad for her to get this virus.


Hubby could tell I was getting a little jittery. He sent me this picture of how the swine flu is supposedly spread.

I guess you just have to laugh, it's a waste of time to sit around worrying. I know that in my head. However, my heart is feeling a little heavier today.


Stay well my friends.

  posted at 1:54 PM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Sherry said...

LOVE THE PICTURE!!! :) That one made me laugh. Hope you guys stay well.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger missy said...

You aren't the only one getting a bit worried. :) I'm sure once they close the schools down it will stop spreading so quickly!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, that picture -- funny but gross! LOL.

I hear you on the Swine Flu. It's getting closer to NH, too. Cases in NY and CT (and possibly MA.) Sigh. We have asthmatics, too. I live in a rural area, but DH works with the public and a lot of tourists from all over the world come here. I guess we just have to be diligent and watch for any signs (I'm SO glad we have excellent hospitals here.)

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

I feel ya! But there is medicine to fight it. I'm sure you guys will be OK.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

ROFL! So funny. Thanks for the giggle. And stay well, friend. We're all healthy here and no cases in PA so far but thinking of you in the west. Be well!!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

That is quite a picture for the moment!

Maybe you can spend some time with a lesson on handwashing and hand sanitizers.

In my area, the flu is not a big deal yet. I hope you have a good week anyhow!

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Gillian said...

I hope you all stay well :)

The media seems to have trouble giving balanced reports on such events. I read on this website (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm) that the CDC estimates around 36,000 die from the flu each year...just normal old flu. Which in itself is pretty tragic, but it also points to the fact that this Swine Flu isn't killing people any faster than that.

As for calling it a "level 5 pandemic", that just refers to how it's spreading...it doesn't mean that everyone who catches it is going to die. The way the media seems to say it seems to add panic to the whole situation.

Your advice to your children is spot on!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with you...I was none too concerned, until two of my kids got really sick last week...it made me wonder...but then my oldest reminded me of the statistics of how many people die from the flu and how many deaths HAVE NOT occurred from the swine flu. Good thing I have teenagers to put my mind at ease.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Missy said...

Hope you all are well!!!!

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Luanne said...

I love that picture...so funny! I felt the same way about the swine flu and then they colsed schools here too. Non one in my family got sick...yea! I hope you are and have been all healthy there!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

LOL I posted this pic on my blog too.
We have swine flu in the counties around us, and our schools have issued a letter stating that if we have flu symptoms to stay out of school for 7 days after the start of the symptoms, even if we are symptom free.
My friend was told by her doctor/friend that she probably had the swine flu but not to get tested because it would just cause a panic and put her on a map, when the flu is really not that bad. It isn't killing more people that any other flu does, we just haven't been exposed to it before, so more people will get it.
In fact, I think we may have it, but it isn't bad enough to go to the doctor, so I am not going to go start a panic in our town. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: