Sunday, April 05, 2009
Another Daughter Of The King Received Her Crown Today
Updated below

When we walked into church this morning we were surprised to see 4 giant pools all along the front of the sanctuary.

Our pastor talked about baptism and went over many of the verses we had been talking about as a family lately. Only Garrett (10) has been baptized and the other children have been thinking hard about it. Dave and I really want it to be their decision. I don't want to pressure them in any way.

When it was time for the invitation our pastor said that if anyone wanted to come down and get baptized right then and their they could. They had towels all set up and people prepared to mop up the water, etc. I thought to myself, cool, this is going to be great!!!

So, I prayed for the Holy Spirit to speak to my kids and give them the courage to walk down the steps and be baptized. Only Tyler and Samantha were with me. Dave and Zach were at his ballgame and they are going to church tonight.

I turned to Tyler and asked him if he was ready. He paused and then said no. Samantha also said no. So, we watched as hundreds of people came down to get baptized. It was truly amazing. We go to a mega church of over 5,000 people so the thought of walking forward in front of all those people is daunting. I know my kids were afraid.

We ran into Samantha's best friend before church and she and her family ended up sitting with us. We don't usually see each other as they usually sit on the other side of the church but today we ran into each other and we all sat together. Later I would realize how God had orchestrated this whole scenario.

As we watched and clapped and were amazed at all the people going forward I felt Samantha looking at me. I looked at her and asked the question again. This time she said yes. She asked me and her best friend, Michelle, to go down with her (we were sitting in the balcony). Michelle's father and mother have been great friends of Dave and mine for years and her Dad actually married us 23 years ago. I kind of chuckled and told him that he always seems to be around for the important moments in our lives.

Both of our families went down with Samantha and she was baptized this morning in her jeans and sweater. I cried and cried. It was such a joyful moment.

We called her Dad right afterwards and he was really sad not to be their with her. He is going back tonight and we are praying the boys will listen to the Holy Spirit and swallow their fears and go forward. Will you please pray with me today? Last year on Good Friday Garrett was baptized, today on Palm Sunday it was Samantha's turn, my joy would be complete if the older boys would also go forward tonight and step into that water to make their commitment to Christ complete. They have said they want to, they just need to get over the fear of being in front of all those people. Both of my older boys are pretty shy in front of those they don't know so this is a much harder act of obedience for them than it was for my more outgoing children.

What ever happens tonight I know their hearts are in the right place and at some point they will walk forward and be baptized. Again, I don't want to pressure them in any way. However, I will not hide the fact that I will be doing the hallelujah dance if it does happen tonight.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Update: It didn't happen tonight. From both of their responses though I am pretty sure it will happen soon. Some times being a parent and letting your kids make their own decisions is really really hard. Why can't they just listen to me? I am really smart you know (ha ha ha)? Thanks for your prayers and kind words, I really enjoyed reading them.

Labels:


  posted at 1:07 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Luanne said...

So so cool...even I do not know you or your daughter in person, Iam so proud of her bravery and her faith. A joyous day!!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Kathyb1960 said...

I was baptized on Easter Sunday in 1971. In our church, at that time, and sometimes they still do it this way, you take a Pastor's Class to learn about what it means to make your Profession of Faith, and be baptized. So, I went forward to Palm Sunday, and then was baptized on Easter Sunday. I was so short I had to stand on the Pastor's foot!

Anyway, congratulate your daughter, and your boys, too, if indeed they go forward.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger missy said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! I always cry during baptisms...most recently this morning! What a wonderful thing, when your child takes that step. I'm sure the rest will not be far behind!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

What a wonderful experience for you and your daughter. I agree about letting your kids make the decision, however that has really been muddied waters when I take into account a special needs child.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Kimmie said...

Rejoicing with you ...knowing that we will someday be rejoicing about your sons too!

5,000 in church...wow. It makes our 900 look tiny!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I was baptized as an adult and I struggled with my decision for weeks. I was so afraid to make that 'public' statement. Praise God for Samantha's decision! Maybe tonight is the night for your older boys?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Created For His Glory said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and welcome to the family :)
Love,
K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: