Tuesday, April 28, 2009
The World Gone Mad........
Do you think the world is coming to an end tomorrow? You might if you live in California or somewhere else where the Swine Flu has been detected. Geez. Really?

My kids are terrified because the news media is out of control on this one. There have been 50 cases in California. However, NO ONE HAS DIED. Also, ONLY A FEW PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HOSPITALIZED.

Do they lead the story with this information????? Oh no, the lead story is how every CVS pharmacy in my area is out of masks and how to order some in bulk online if you can't find any. They do then say, at the very end of the story, how the World Health Organization reports that masks really WILL NOT be effective anyways as you would have to wear them 24 hours a day and small droplets of virus can still get through the mask.

Schools have been closed, travel cancelled, and the news media has a great story they can blow totally out of proportion to up their ratings during sweeps.

What good is panicking anyways? I told my kids three things. Wash your hands A LOT. Cover your mouth when you sneeze. Turn off the TV, stop listening to the news, go outside and have some fun. OK, maybe that was more than three things, but you get the picture.

I will tell you what did get me a little panicked yesterday.

I was driving down the freeway to pick Tyler up from football practice after school and the truck two cars in front of me had a ladder fly off the back of it and hit the car in front of me. There was lots of screeching breaks and thankfully I was able to stop before I ran into the back of this poor guy. I had semi-trucks on either side of me and had no where to go, when I look in my rear view mirror to see traffic behind me slamming on their breaks trying not to hit those of us who had come to a complete stop in the middle of the freeway. The cars were far enough back that it took them a few seconds to get to me. Thankfully they were also able to stop and the guy that got hit by the ladder seemed to be OK. My neck was tense for a few hours after that. I think I had tensed up so much preparing for impact I actually hurt myself.

I am so thankful that I was not hit because I was not in the Suburban but in Dave's Altima and I really did not want to be slammed in to one of those big rig trucks. I was a little shaky for a few hours after that to. It was way to close for comfort.

Thank You Jesus for keeping me and everyone else safe in what could have been a really awful accident.

Now, Jesus, please also protect my family from the swine flu. Or, in the least, from all the news reporters that are sure we will all be dead tomorrow from its effects.

Well, I guess if that does happen, I won't have to worry about all the big trucks on the freeway anymore.

There is a silver lining to every story, if you just look for one.

Labels:


  posted at 9:27 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Raquel said...

ugh i know that is all i have been hearing about around here

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I hear ya on that one. It has not hit our state but you would never know it from the news. Even my Mom called me to "warn me" to watch out for the signs since the kids and I all have nasty colds today.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Yup -- stop watching the news is good medicine for me!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

I have managed to totally avoid all reports on this, lol. I have seen there ARE reports on it, but haven't heard a one.
I am just trusting God with my family, that is all I can do, besides hand washing, lol.
I promise, you will not find a swine flu on my newspaper column unless it is to laugh at the rediculousness of the panic.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

We are wise to be cautious and preventative, but since there's not really a ton of other more dramatic stuff dominating the news right now, this IS getting a lot of play. It is a big, scary virus verging on an epidemic but panic is not the answer.

However, I did hear just at lunch time that there is now one verified death in the US - a toddler in TX. So sad.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

How very scary about the accident! My husband did the same thing with his neck in an accident where he saw what was coming. I was riding in the car too but was less sore because I didn't know what was about to happen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: