Saturday, February 10, 2007
my sister the adventure girl
Around 16 years ago my sister met a man, fell in love, and got married. I lived in a different state than my sister, and as this was somewhat of a whirlwind relationship, hubby and I didn't meet our new bil, Barry, until the wedding day. We liked him very much and thought this would be a really good match for my sis.

Not long after meeting Barry he told us of his plans to take an early retirement, buy a boat, and go cruising to other countries. Well, I thought, I am sure this will change. After all, he hadn't known my sister for that long and he really must not understand what kind of a gal she is. Her? Living on a boat? Cruising around to who knows where, not seeing land for several days at a time? Hmm, I couldn't really picture it and was sure it would NOT happen.

Over the years I noticed his plans never changed and my sister started talking like she thought it might be fun. I think it was around three years ago I got word that they were selling their house and had purchased a big boat. Sis told me they would live on the boat in the Marina while getting training and preparing for their big adventure together. OK, at this point I was getting annoyed. I really did not think of my sister as the adventurous type. She enjoyed nice hotels and laying by the pool. How in the heck was she going to live on a boat, this was not a luxurious yacht, this was a nice sailboat but it was just a boat.

The two of them got to work. They had garage sales, gave things away, stored things at family members homes (my kitchen is full of some of her treasurers) and rented a storage place for those special items that had to be saved. At this point I started getting into the spirit of this whole thing. How cathartic to just get rid of all your worldly possessions and live with the bare minimum.

They moved onto their boat three years ago and have never looked back. I think my sister was a little unsure at first how she would like it but I give her so much praise for following her hubbies dream and making it a reality. They left this past November for their third tour on the boat. They have decided that they will leave in November each year and return in late May. They bought a home in the mountains that had belonged to bil's parents this last summer when they were home. They now have a home to return to each year.

We miss them while they are gone, and my kids ask frequently when they are coming back. However, I am so impressed with their fearless determination to make their dream a reality. I like the beach, but the ocean water scares me. One of my great fears in life is drowning in the ocean. I would never have enough courage to do what my sis and her hubby are doing. They are having a great time. They recently left Guatemala for Costa Rica. They should be there by now.

My sister shared with me that one of the few things she misses while gone is the fellowship with other Christians. She has a blog that she updates periodically and posts pictures of their adventures. If any of you have time will you please go over and tell her Hi? I know she would really appreciate it and so would I.

Here is the long walk to one of the bathroom accommodations they had to use. I told you, she is an adventure girl now!


Here's praying that God gives us all the courage to jump on a boat and live out our dream's, because if he didn't want us to live them, perhaps he wouldn't give them to us in the first place. Do you have a dream, and if so what is it?


Blessings,
Julie

Labels:


  posted at 9:15 AM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, Julie; what a great testimony to being open to new things! I admire your sis as well, and your challenge to all of us is just too perfect. I'll check out her blog...

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Hanley Family said...

Wow...that is really exciting, I think. I'm glad they've found enjoyment together pursuing their dreams!

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Wow! That sounds exciting and brave, like something I'd dream about doing, but I don't know if I ever actually would!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm adding you to my blogroll. Let me know if you'd rather I didn't.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

What an interesting story. You are really good at telling them. I'll try to pop on over and see what they're up to.
I love boats, but I don't think I would like to live on one for so many months out of the year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: