The warehouse had been made into a party zone with lots of giant inflatable slides and obstacle courses. It was basically a kids dream come true and they definitely were having a great time.
I was really enjoying watching them run around and Paige (4) was doing a great job keeping up with all the big kids. This was a large area but it was enclosed with only one exit so I just let her run freely and took a seat to talk with some of the other parents.
About 45 minutes into the party, I am talking with one of the other moms, when we see some sparks coming from a corner behind one of the giant slides. We get up to see what is going on and just as we are reaching the area a large puff of smoke emerges and flames appear.
It seems they had an electrical short and one of the heavy duty extension cords decided to burst into flames.
To be honest I didn't really see a very big flame. What I did see was lots of smoke and the warhouse was filling up quickly.
One of the Dad's asked the employee who was trying to blow on the flames (yeah, unbelievable right?) where the fire extinguisher was? It seems he had no idea.
At this point I walked away trying to forget about the fire. My main concern was to get all the kids out of the warehouse before it filled up with smoke (there were about 25 at the party).
I began to panic. I had no idea where my kids were. We began to yell for the kids to get off of the inflatables and to run outside. I still could not find my kids.
In that brief moment I had a panic attack wondering if I could only save one child which one would it be? I know this sounds ridiculous but it was a thought I actually had in that instant.
I knew I had to find Paige because she wasn't old enough to realize what was going on. The other kids should see the smoke and head for an exit.
That is exactly what happened. Tyler was with Paige and he scooped her up once he figured out what was going on.
The owner of the warehouse finally came running in with a fire extinguisher and someone opened up the roll up doors at the back of the warehouse which let in the fresh air and let out all the smoke.
Lets just say all of us mom's were a little shakky at best after this experience.
The kids could have cared less. The whole experience didn't faze them one bit. When it was over they went right back to playing.
I on the other hand had nightmares all night about my children being trapped in a fire. You know the kind where you can hear them calling and even see them but for some reson your legs wont move and you can't save them. Awful.
I believe God was definitely looking out for us that day and I am so thankful no one was harmed.
I guess it was actually a good day after all.