Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Our No Good Very Bad Day
Our weekend of excitement continued on Sunday when I took the four younger kids to a birthday party which was held in a giant warehouse.

The warehouse had been made into a party zone with lots of giant inflatable slides and obstacle courses. It was basically a kids dream come true and they definitely were having a great time.

I was really enjoying watching them run around and Paige (4) was doing a great job keeping up with all the big kids. This was a large area but it was enclosed with only one exit so I just let her run freely and took a seat to talk with some of the other parents.

About 45 minutes into the party, I am talking with one of the other moms, when we see some sparks coming from a corner behind one of the giant slides. We get up to see what is going on and just as we are reaching the area a large puff of smoke emerges and flames appear.

It seems they had an electrical short and one of the heavy duty extension cords decided to burst into flames.

To be honest I didn't really see a very big flame. What I did see was lots of smoke and the warhouse was filling up quickly.

One of the Dad's asked the employee who was trying to blow on the flames (yeah, unbelievable right?) where the fire extinguisher was? It seems he had no idea.

At this point I walked away trying to forget about the fire. My main concern was to get all the kids out of the warehouse before it filled up with smoke (there were about 25 at the party).

I began to panic. I had no idea where my kids were. We began to yell for the kids to get off of the inflatables and to run outside. I still could not find my kids.

In that brief moment I had a panic attack wondering if I could only save one child which one would it be? I know this sounds ridiculous but it was a thought I actually had in that instant.

I knew I had to find Paige because she wasn't old enough to realize what was going on. The other kids should see the smoke and head for an exit.

That is exactly what happened. Tyler was with Paige and he scooped her up once he figured out what was going on.

The owner of the warehouse finally came running in with a fire extinguisher and someone opened up the roll up doors at the back of the warehouse which let in the fresh air and let out all the smoke.

Lets just say all of us mom's were a little shakky at best after this experience.

The kids could have cared less. The whole experience didn't faze them one bit. When it was over they went right back to playing.

I on the other hand had nightmares all night about my children being trapped in a fire. You know the kind where you can hear them calling and even see them but for some reson your legs wont move and you can't save them. Awful.

I believe God was definitely looking out for us that day and I am so thankful no one was harmed.

I guess it was actually a good day after all.

Labels: ,


  posted at 8:59 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Deedra said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I'm so glad that big brother thought to rescue her, at least you know he's looking our for her. And HE's looking out for us all!....Thank goodness!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

That is absolutely unbelievable! I'm so glad everyone was okay.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Cakes said...

That is very scary! Poor Mom! I'd be having nightmares for weeks. I'm so glad everyone was ok.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger missy said...

Holy cow. You guys do NOT live a boring life, Julie! Glad it wasn't worse than it was and thank goodness for responsible children! How proud you must have been!!

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Oh, my goodness! I'm so glad everyone was safe!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Sounds terrifying! I'm so glad you all were unharmed.

Our girls are trained how to react here at home, but I'm not sure how they'd do in a strange place.

A few weeks ago we were in the living room when the smoke alarm went off. In 15 seconds, my 3 girls plus one friend were crouched at the front door. As I headed to the kitchen to check things out, I told my oldest to open the front door, just in case. When I returned from the kitchen (just a smoking burner), all 4 girls were outside at the curb, awaiting further instructions.

I was proud (and relieved), to say the least!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Crissybug said...

That had to be scary! You think you are safe in a place only to realize that is not the case. I am glad to hear that everything was okay in the end.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

You STAYED at this party??? My husband would have so been loading us all up in the car.
And I will never tease him again for always noticing where the fire exits are. I always say, "Would you just relax?"
Glad you were all OK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: