Monday, November 10, 2008
Why Sometimes It Is Just Easier To Do It Yourself
Today we are having my mom's 89th birthday party at our house. We will be having about 20 people over for dinner.


My niece had offered to split the cost of ordering Mexican food from this moderately priced restaurant so I wouldn't have to cook. I really didn't mind cooking, but it sounded nice to not have to worry about it. I would have spent about the same at the market on food as it was costing for us to cater the dinner so I was really happy about that.


Knowing I didn't really have any prep work to do this past weekend for the party I happily cleaned out the cupboards of my kitchen. Yesterday afternoon my niece calls to tell me there is a problem. The restaurant requires 24 hour notice for catering and when she went to call them yesterday she discovered they were closed on Sunday.


Why she waited until the day before I have no idea.


So, yesterday at 3:00 p.m. I stood in my kitchen, where I had begun cleaning out another cupboard, frantically trying to figure out what I was going to feed all these people? I was not happy.


We decided to have another Mexican restaurant cater the dinner. I just didn't have the energy to plan a menu and go shopping last night.


Of course, this will cost us twice as much as the original restaurant.


I hate to feel this way, but this is why I don't like to let others take care of details for me. It seems like I am always trying to clean up others messes. Maybe it is just the control freak inside of me.


Either way, we will have a nice dinner tonight, and no matter how much it costs my wonderful mom is worth it.


However, next time I will be calling the caterer myself.

Labels: ,


  posted at 8:27 AM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Kimmie said...

Hi Julie;

I am sorry that she dropped the ball. That is a bummer, but I am SO glad that you were able to get hooked up with another without any trouble (well, other than expense increase.)
Sending a hug and saying a prayer...was it last night or tonight?

Regardless I will pray she will be blessed and you too!

Forgive your niece, don't let it build up in your spirit. It will lead to bitterness and eventually rebellion...don't go there sweet Julie!
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade adn 5 adopted

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger jolincountry said...

Ugh. How frustrating.
But I'm glad you were able to find another restaurant that didn't need 24 hours notice and that you didn't end up eating at Wendy's or something.. lol
And, btw, when you are done cleaning out those cabinets, I've got a chore list that I'd gladly share with you :)

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Ugh! That must be so frustrating! I hope it is a fun party anyhow!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger holly said...

I am the ULTIMATE control freak, so I understand your dilema perfectly!!!!!! Seriously.

you are very blessed to have a mom still. Mine died in her 60's due to her own stubborness (she smoked and drank and didn't like to eat) so give your mom an extra hug from me next time you see her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: