Friday, August 17, 2007
Our Little Escape Artist
My four year old is exhausting me. She wants to be outside ALL THE TIME.

Sometimes us Moms have things to do inside. Like laundry or cook a meal. She will have none of that.

Puzzles? Please, way to boring. Quite time. No Way. There are bugs to catch and swings to swing on. Outside is the place for her.

Hubby had to put one of those chain locks, up high, on the back door to keep her in. She figured out she could put a chair in front of the door and open the lock. He is moving it up higher today.

She recently has figured out how to open the dead bolt on the front door. I almost cried when I figured out she could do this.

We went and bought another chain lock to put on the front door to keep her in. Unfortunately neither hubby or I have taken the time to put it up.

Until today when were shamed by our neighbors into actually securing our home.

This is how the week has gone.

Garrett (8) is the only one is school right now. I take him around 8:00am and usually all of the kids are still asleep. If Paige is still asleep I leave her in her bed and let one of the kids know I am leaving for a few minutes.

On Monday when I drove back onto our street my sweet neighbor was walking said four year old back across the street. It seems she had woken up in the 4 minutes I was actually gone, took the lock off the door, and went across the street to ask where her mother was? Why she didn't just go into one of her siblings bedrooms is beyond me. But she didn't.

I felt the big L emerging onto my forehead for "LOSER PARENT OF THE YEAR" when my neighbor and her husband asked who was suppose to be watching Paige while I was gone? (Did I mention I was only gone a few minutes?)

Anyway, this really scared me and needless to say I started waking her up and taking her with us for the morning drop off.

Now, I should probably tell you that since neither hubby or myself had gotten the new locks on the front door this week I was using the living room couch to block the door. Hey, it isn't pretty but it worked.

This morning when we got home I went to put the couch in front of the door and discovered one of the kids had slept their last night. Not wanting to wake him I just left the couch there figuring I was home and could watch her to make sure she did not escape.

Oh, what a fool I was.

A little while later while sitting in the family room talking with Tyler (14) I hear a sweet voice come into my home. "Julie, I have brought your daughter home again."

I turned white for before me was my little Paige, buck naked, leaves she had collected out front in her hand, smiling sweetly at her mama, while holding the hand of my understandably disturbed neighbor.

"You know, you really need to put a better lock on your door. Someone could have just driven up and taken her".

The L for loser is now across my entire body.

However, as of a few minutes ago we have a lock on the front door that even Fort Knox would be proud of.

I will be having the neighbors over later to inspect the fine craftsmanship. Just so they can be assured no naked four year olds will be showing up on their front porches any time soon.

Labels:


  posted at 11:18 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 12:40 PM, Blogger missy said...

Oh my goodness. I want to laugh because the picture of her in my head is so cute, but I totally understand you must be mortified!! Good luck with her, sounds like it is going to be an interesting 14 years to come!!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Oh I feel your pain! My 2 1/2 y/o is a monster. She also escapes all our locks and devices to keep her in and safe. My neighbors have gotten some wonderful (ahem) views looking our way and seeing a naked 2 y/o dancing on our back deck. One day a neighbor commented, "Oh, I see she has her clothes on today!." Ugh!! I fall in bed at night exhausted and sigh a big relief that we made it through another day safely with her. ((Hugs))

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Oh how embarrassing! My little boy already knows how to open the deadlock. The chain lock is a good idea for say, when I'm taking a shower or something.

At least you know you have good neighbors.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Joyfulness said...

I feel your pain too. Love how you moved the couch to block the door - I do those quick blocks instead of taking the time to add better safety measures. These kids can sure keep us on our toes!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Holy Smokes, maybe you need a combination lock! Or a straight jacket.

Oh, I know, we have keyed deadbolts on our front and back door. You'd just have to make sure she can't get the key.

Bless your heart.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

Been there! My neighbor brought my 2yo home covered in poop, she liked to play in it back then. We found a teen boy holding her in the alley one time, we were searching for her and he had stopped her and waited until someone came looking so she wouldn't go in the street. She was going to the Dairy Queen.
She's 3 now, and we just moved my in-laws in 3 blocks away, and we are all concerned she will try to walk there on her own. And she tried it yesterday. Thankfully we were paying attention so she wouldn't do it.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Oh, my! How scary! Some good friends of ours had an escape artist, too. I believe they resorted to high locks, etc. They lived in the desert and were afraid of him wandering off and getting lost. What about a double keyed deadbolt (must use a key to open on either side)?

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Oh Julie, I read your post from the vantage point of a grandmother and I laughed out loud!!
I wish I was your neighbour!!
What fun!!
Enjoy her while you can..One day very soon Paige will be grown and gone.
But I really hope you are still blogging because I want to know what she is doing 15-20 years from now!!! I know it will be something GOOD !

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Deedra said...

OH no! Bless your heart, what a week! Hopefully the Fort Knox locks will keep her inside!


p.s.....I tagged you for something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: