Monday, August 13, 2007
The First Day Of Pre School In Review
First off, thanks to all of you regarding your sweet comment's on Paige's first day of pre-school.

I wish I could tell you it was a smashing success and she enjoyed it immensely.

Unfortunately I can not.

When we got to school she really didn't want to go in with the teacher so I went in with her. They immediately went to the classroom, put their backpacks down, and an aide took all the children (their are only five in her class) to the bathroom.

She was a little unsure but did line up with the other kids and walked to the bathrooms. I spoke with her teacher for a few moments and then left before her group got back.

Well, when I went to pick her up three hours later she did not look happy. The teacher told me she hid under the desk the entire class time and refused to come out until it was announced they were going outside to play.

Oh, and how this child likes outside play. I guess the sound of the children playing outside was to much for her and she ran out to join in.

Until they came back into the classroom. When she promptly ran back to her favorite spot under the desk until I came to pick her up.

The teacher, Ms. Naomi, told me she had been crying the entire time (except during recces of course) and no amount of coaxing would bring her out to join in all the fun they were having.

Upon quick inspection of said child I noticed that her eyes did not seem puffy and their were no splotchy marks on her face like their should have been if she had been crying all that time.

This led me to only one conclusion. SHE WAS FAKE CRYING!

Would Paige do this and try to manipulate the teacher like that?

Oh, yes ma'am she would. She is the master at just such manipulation.

My guess is that she was very irritated to find me gone when she came back to class and thought she would show all of us just who was boss.

As I was leaving the school that day I almost went back to say goodbye but was afraid if she saw me again she might not let me leave. She goes to Church each Sunday and does fine so I opted to not go back. In hindsight I probably should have.

Even though I had been talking with her and telling her about school it was a new environment and I am sure she was a little uneasy. Paige also does not like ANY KIND OF CHANGE so I am not surprised she did not take to this new experience without a few bumps in the road.

As I have told you all before her class is a special education pre-school for speech and language delayed 3 and 4 year olds. Her preschool is conducted at one of the nearby Elementary schools and is set up just like a regular classroom.

I am hoping all the fun toys and activities will call to her this week and she won't be able to resist. We will see. She goes back tomorrow for her second day.

Please pray she has a great day. I so want her to participate so she can get the help she needs.

We had kind of a hard day with her yesterday, we had gone to visit relatives and she was in to EVERYTHING. It is so hard when you have a four year old that acts like she is a two year old. Others don't really seem to understand.

We had one of those days when I start to wonder if their is something else going on with her other that speech and language delays. But then when we got home she seemed to be her normal happy self again.

It is just so hard to know. Like all of us we just want what is best for our children and sometimes figuring out what that is can be an exercise in frustration.

Thanks for listening. I needed to rant and rave a little.

And give the who thing to God.

Which I am trying very hard to do.

Have a great week, girls (and boys, I know you are lurking out there....smile)

Labels:


  posted at 5:00 AM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Well hopefully she had good teachers that won't fall for the "tricks" =) It will be fine, I promise by Christmas she won't be under her desk anymore =)))

(hugs)

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger missy said...

I'm sure once she adjusts she'll be begging to go everyday! The biggest thing with kids and something new is realizing that it isn't going to go away, and then they decide to make the best of it. I so hope today is a better day for her!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Wow, that sounds like a tough situation. I guess all there is to do is pray and keep in close communication with her teachers.

I hope she is able to have fun with school soon!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

Hope it goes better...sounds like you have a good perspective on the situation.
One day, you will tell her this story and you two will laugh about it together =).
Hang in there!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Judy said...

Had to come out of my Kingdom of Lurkdom. As a former preschool teacher I can tell you that as long as she played fine at recess, the rest will come along. Make sure she knows you are leaving and that you will be back to get her when school is out. You handled it well by not going back, inho, as long as she knew you would be leaving.

Hang in there... she (and you) will be fine. :-) Take care.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Aw, I hope things get better for her. (Wow, I can't believe that some schools are back in session already! Well, August IS half-over . . .)

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it is so helpful to hear that someone else is dealing with this. My 4 year old son has some significant speech delays.
He has been in speech therapy for over a year and while his vocabulary has improved there is another area in which he has made no progress at all. I can't remember exactly what it's called. He doesn't understand Why questions or the concept of waiting/patience, etc. Just today his therapist told me I ought get him in to see a nueropsychologist or developmental pediatrican to see if there is something bigger than just a speech issue going on.
The uncertainty is killing me. I just want him to be okay.
He is such a sweet boy but he acts like a 2 year old, just like you said. He can't get his words out to communicate so he throws tantrums or fake cries. Many times both of us have ended up in tears over his not understanding, or my not understanding or him communicating in the only way he knows how which is usually bawling.

I hope things get better for you and her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: