Saturday, August 04, 2007
Memories Of Days Gone By
A few weeks ago our good friend Brad called Dave and I and asked if we would consider helping out with the Junior High Youth Group? He thought it would be great fun if we did it together with him and his wife, Kathy, who we have known for almost 25 years.

At the moment our church only has one minister for both the junior high and high school groups. With the size of the church this just was not working out. The junior high kids really needed there own identity.

Dave and I discussed it and with two kids in the junior high group next year and no babies currently at home we thought this was a great time to jump in and try something new. So, we said Yes.

Tonight was our first meeting. The kids swam and we BBQ'd hot dogs. We played a game and had a Bible study time and prayer.

It was a big success and the kids are all really excited for next week.

This is the thing.

Brad lead the Bible Study and I watched my kids listening to him intently. He is a really good teacher and is great with teens. He seems to have a great way of relating to them on their level.

Much the way he did back when he was in charge of my college Bible study so many years ago.

Brad and Kathy were only 4 years older than me at the time, but when you are only 18 that seems like a huge age difference.

Brad and Dave were friends. Dave liked me. You know, in THAT way. I was totally blind to him. I was pining for another boy.

It was Brad and Kathy that made me see that other boy was not for me. This guy Dave, he is really nice. He really likes you. Give him a chance.

I did.

And the rest is history.

As I was watching my children listen to this man I found myself getting all weepy eyed.

My life had come full circles. It was no longer I sitting their as the young student listening intently and looking up Bible verses. It was my children.

My children were learning about God, his word, and his love for them from the very person who had taught me two decades ago. The man who had introduced there mother to there father. The man who had married them and been there dearest friend for all these years.

I feel so blessed and excited to serve with these fine people again. To enjoy there company. To reconnect our friendship now that we both have a little time to sit and drink a cup of coffee.

Our children are great friends. Our daughters best friends. Life is so good.

Thank you God for the chance to minister to these teens. Thank you for the opportunity to spend this time with our own children in your word and watch them grow. I pray all the kids would feel welcomed and loved and that lives would be changed forever and these teens will go out and shine your light upon the world.

Amen.

Labels: ,


  posted at 4:19 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 4:25 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

What a great story and how wonderful that you have been able to keep in contact all these years!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Lori said...

This is such a sweet story, it almost made me tear just reading it. God is good, God is faithful!!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Deedra said...

What a wonderful story! My husband and I have worked with our youth for a few years now, and I adore it! They really keep me on my toes!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: