Friday, July 20, 2007
Here It Is.....The Big Reveal!
My heart has been heavy these past few weeks trying to figure out a way to tell y'all about our big surprise. My heart and body are bursting with excitement, and yet I am having a hard time putting those feelings into words. No words seem to do them justice.

However, I have tried.

Here is our story.

Over twenty years ago I saw a documentary on Russia and the many orphans they had in their country. The documentary spotlighted several orphanages and the little children on the screen really touched my heart.

Afterwards I told Dave that we should someday adopt a child. At the time we had no children of our own. And no money. The thought was just a dream of a young girl of 20. That girl filed her dream away for a later time.

There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1


A few years later we had our first child and then three more in pretty quick succession. Life was good and we were happy.

When our youngest son was around three I started feeling the yearning for another child.

I remembered our conversation about adoption those many years ago and brought it up again to Dave.

He really wasn't interested. He had a family member who adopted a child at a young age and it didn't turn out so well. He wasn't so sure he wanted to take the chance. Whenever I spoke of my desire to other family members and friends they also were not very encouraging. I felt myself doubting my dream.

Do not be afraid. Do not let your hands fall limp. The LORD your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. ZEPHANIAH 3:16-17


Not to long after our conversation I found out we were expecting our fifth child.

Thoughts of adoption were again put on the back burner.

About the time Paige turned one I was starting to really want another child again.

However, I knew this time it was not a child from my womb I was longing for but a child to be born in my heart.

Hubby, again, was not so sure.

Until, about eighteen months ago, when he expressed to me his desire for another child.

I was thrilled. I was sure God was working on his heart and he would now agree to adoption.

Not so fast. He still was not sure about adoption.

I was very disappointed.

I really felt God leading us down the path of adoption. However, my husband was not feeling that same pull. He would prefer I give birth to another child.

I began to pray. I knew God would not be leading me down this path without taking my husband with me. This child would need a mother and a father that were fully committed to him or her.

I asked Dave to start praying as well. He told me he would.

Now, I have to confess something here.

I knew that if I begged and pleaded with my dear husband he would give in and let me adopt a child. Neither one of us is very good at denying the other something we really want.

I knew in my heart this would not be fair and it would not be what God would want. If he truly had picked this path for us I needed to wait on him and give him time to work his magic on my husbands heart.

That one thing I knew for sure. If it was truly a calling from above I would not have to twist my hubby's arm. He would come to the same conclusions on his own.

This is VERY hard for me. I am not a patient person. I like to be in control. I like to drive the car.

But I needed to have faith and wait.

Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the LORD. Psalm 27:14


Recently,I had pretty much given up any hope of Dave ever changing his mind. I would try and ask gentle questions every once in a while to see if their was some shift in his attitude....I always seemed to meet with resistance....I would then back off again.

I started doubting. This must not be the path God had wanted for us. I must have misunderstood his nudgings. My husbands heart was not changing.

As usual, God did not take note of my pitiful amount of faith in him. HE had other plans.

And your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it", whenever you turn to the right or to the left. ISAIAH 30:21


Several weeks ago, while having a quite dinner out alone together, the subject of adoption came up again. I noticed a change in my husband. He asked a lot of questions. How much research had I done? What countries could we adopt from? What did we need to do to start the process.

By the end of the meal he finally said the words to me I had waited so long to hear. We should adopt. And he meant it. His heart had changed.

Dave, the kids and I are all very excited about this path we are traveling on. I will admit to a little bit of fear and unease.

However, 98% of the time I feel complete joy over the whole idea. Joy that has been waiting 20 years to explode from my body.

I have so much more to tell you but if I tell you know it will take you hours to read through all the words I have that need to come out of by mouth.

I will spare you for now. More to come in a few days.

Hopefully someday I will finally learn and remember that God rarely works on my time table. His is so much better.

Let us hold fast the confessions of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23

Labels:


  posted at 6:31 AM  
  18 comments



18 Comments:
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Mariah said...

I am so excited for you! What wonderful news! Your post was encouraging to me because I, too, have a dream, though not concerning adoption...two actually...that my husband does not go along with. Not that they are wrong, he just doesn't feel them in his own heart. But who knows? I don't believe that God puts things in our hearts just to frustrate us! Surely He has good things in HIS timetable! Our job is to pray and wait on Him. Congratulations!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger missy said...

That is wonderful!! I am so tickled for you. You did the right thing by not pressuring hubby and waiting on God, but I am sure it was tough! Congrats on 'expecting'!! :)

 
At 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome! Patients is a virtue that I have trouble with. I would love to her more about you adoption journey. I have a friend that is in the process of adopting.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

Well, between your thankful post and this post, I can see God has an exciting year ahead for you! Well, it could be a long time, or it could go quickly, but it will be exciting!

We were led by God to have a vasectomy reversal, but it took years for God to provide for it. We were willing to find another way, but God said to wait for His provision. And it happened so amazingly! And He told us we would have a son, Samuel. That took 7 years! He was worth the wait! Hind-sight shows the reasons God waited and I am ever so thankful!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

How exciting! I love adoption! I have had a few friends who were adopted and they are so happy and loved.

I will really be looking forward to hearing more of your new calling and adventure!!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Exciting, exciting! Thanks for taking the time to write such a faith-filled post. Congrats!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

WOW! That is VERY exciting! I love it when God lets us see his plans unfold before our very eyes. Good for you for backing off and not pressuring him. That is hard I know.

Can't wait to hear more of your story. That was worth the wait! : )

Hugs!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Isn't God good? It's so great when we can just be patient and wait on him, isn't it?

DH and I adopted our three girls through foster care almost 2 years ago. I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story. I am so excited for you! I can't wait to read more about your journey!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

I know many couples who have adopted (us included), and I can't think of one where the man was ready to adopt at the same time, or before, his wife. I would get so frustrated with my hubby because he was always looking to me to spearhead everything, and he'd sign on the dotted line when he had to. Oi!

Then, he laid eyes on our children. Talk about a different person. I didn't have to do anything, he was on the ball with paperwork, etc. Men are so visual,and after hearing how everyone else's stories were just like mine, I realize so much of it goes back to how they're wired (not to generalize). Once they see their child,and meet that child, they're 100% on board. But they really have to grieve over the idea that their child won't be biologically theirs. My hubby grieved more than I did.

God is so good. Just from a personal perspective, I am always amazed how he provides homes for these orphans before they're even born. The desire was in your heart years before your future child was in an orphanage. That's incredible to me. His love for these children is spectacular. I am often stunned at the drive of adoptive parents. Its so difficult to go through the process, yet they'll go through anything for that child. That's our Lord. That's what he does in our hearts.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Julie, How exciting! And I love your testimony. I know how hard it is to let go of the reigns and wait upon the Lord. My DH is also greatly influenced by my desires and you are so wise to wait for it to come to him directly from the Lord. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you. God bless you!

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Monkey Kisses said...

i am actually in tears. I was adopted myself so I have a really big soft spot and also may one day adopt. Not now, but one day. You should go check out http://heartmoms.blogspot.com/
she would love to walk along the journey with you i am sure! My story is on there.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Oh my this is exciting news! Keep us updated on every detail,LOL!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

How wonderful! What an exciting time for your family!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Deedra said...

I am so excited for you guys! I never cease to be amazed at how God works things out for us! Congratulation!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Mandalyn said...

I can't wait to hear the rest! I'm so excited for you!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is an awesome story!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Joyfulness said...

How exciting! Thank you for sharing your heart with us! I really appreciate the verses you included. My husband & I have talked many times about adoption but really wonder if/when God will ever call us to it, since he's blessing us with children of our own right now (just had our 4th). You've encouraged me to keep it in God's hands and he'll provide the right time if that's what he wants for us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: