Thursday, May 10, 2007
the night terrors
When I was a child I used to sleep walk. My parents tell me that I would get out of bed, take off all my clothes, and then walk into there bedroom and start peeing all over the floor. Sometimes I would go to the kitchen, but usually it was to there room.

My mom would take me into the bathroom, clean me up, have a conversation with me, and then put me back into bed. I did this off and on until I was around 10 years old. I never remembered. I had no recollection at all. I never woke up.

I didn't learn about this until I was a teen. It came out one day in a conversation with my parents. They said they never told me when I was younger because they didn't want me to feel bad or be embarassed. I thought they must be exagerating. I had never heard of such a thing and just couldn't understand how I didn't remember or why I hadn't woken up.

That is, until my husband and I started experiencing similar things with our own children.

One night I heard a funny noise coming from my sons bedroom. I walked in to find him standing in the middle of his bedroon....peeing all over the floor. He was even aiming as if there was a toilet there. I asked him (very loudly) what in the heck he thought he was doing? He calmly replied "going to the bathroom". He thought he was in the bathroom. He was sound asleep. He never woke up or had any memory of the incident. I now completely believed my parents. This was very strange.

About six months ago our youngest daughter, Paige, started sleep walking. I have woken up several nights to feel like something just wasn't right. I have learned as a mother we always have to listen to those little voices. Anyway, I go and check on everyone in there beds and three times now I have found that Paige was not in hers. I have found her downstairs. In the dark. Trying to get out the front door. Now, there are so many things about this scenerio that absolutely terrify me. The idea that she could get outside, while sleep walking, and I would have no idea, makes me shake in fear. Needless to say, our doors are now fortified with extra locks to keep her in. We even put the very heavy couch in front of the door when we go to bed as an added precaution. She also never really wakes up. I just put her back into bed and she rolls over and goes back into a very deep sleep almost immediately.

Over the last few months Paige has moved from sleep walking to having night terrors. The other kids had milder versions of these every once in a while but nothing like this child's. Paige's should win some sort of prize for putting the fear of God into everyone within a 5 mile radius who may hear her screaming. We had one of these tonight. About an hour ago.

She woke up screaming! She continued screaming for at least 15 minutes. I could not comfort her or get her to wake up. She was in our bedroom screaming so loudly "Stop It" that my husband had to close the window for fear someone would hear her and call the police. She sounded as if she were being tortured. I was sweating and starting to panic. Usually I can get her calmed back down within a few minutes. Not this time. I started worrying that something else may be wrong. Finally, I turned on all the lights in the room and basically held her in my arms so tight she couldn't move. She slowly started coming out of it.

We are now downstairs, while everyone else is happily back to sleep, watching Sesame Street. Paige is happily laughing and kissing me every few seconds and telling me she loves me. It is a good thing this kid is so cute and sweet. Otherwise, I may have been driving around looking for an all night drive thru Orphanage to drop her off at. lol. I am not sure my heart can take another episode like the one tonight.

So, here is my question. Have any of you experienced anything similar with your own children or siblings? Do you have any ideas on how to make them stop (besides prayer, which I will be doing fervently).

Hope you all are getting a good night sleep!

Labels:


  posted at 3:33 AM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

Bubba had these VERY mildly. Not like Paige's last night. I wish I knew some advice to help, but I don't. I'm sorry. ((((hugs))))

I hope you are able to take a nap today. Or at least lay on the couch incoherently looking at the ceiling for a good hour. ;)

Michelle

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger melsmunchkins said...

One of my DS's had something like that once. He was crying and very upset, but he never really woke up. It took a little while to get him calmed down. I hope Paige doesn't have any more! (((HUGS)))

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Julie

Let me introduce myself, Rhonda sent me to check out this post. I am part of the leadership team at the church that Rhonda and her husband are childrens' pastors.
I have done a lot of Bible based study around dreams and interpreting, and have recently gotten involved teaching on this as part of a course offered at a church about an hour and a half from here.
"Funny" thing. I taught Monday night, and we covered these kinds of situations.
I have 4 children....2 boys, then 2 girls. Both of my boys went through this very young. One, his first year of school...in Ontario that's 4. the other son was younger. I was able to eventually wake my children up, though sometimes it took a long time. My kids were pretty protected, so I couldn't figure this out, and was pretty panicked that something sinister might be going on.
My oldest son's lasted a month....almost nightly. A few days before halloween, I wondered if that could possibly be bothering him. Sure enough, when the 31st came and went...so did his terrors.
My younger son, was a real challenge. I was a stay at home mom, he was not yet in school, I could not figure out what could possibly cause this. Lots of prayer later, I figured out that although he loved Pooh Bear, there was one episode..."Blustery Day", that was scary to this child. He stopped watching that one episode, and the terrors ended.
What I have discovered is that sometimes very innocent things can be extremly disturbing when viewed through the eyes of a child.
Continue to ask God what is bothering your daughter, and observe her. If there is nothing obvious, look for something that doesn't make sense.
Particularly children who are very sensitive to God, will be easily bothered in their sleep.
God wants to speak to your daughter through her dreams, but there is an enemy who would like to stop that. He will cause a child to fear going to sleep, so that they can't experince hearing from God .
Try declaring this scripture over her as she gets ready for her sleep.
Psalm 4:8
"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety."

Sorry, my comments are not usually so long...but i know how desperate this can be.
I will pray for your daughter, and revelation for you.
Blessings
Jen

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I have never heard of night terrors being so scary, but my husband apparently sleep walked and mistook his parents bed for the toilet!

My son once or twice had what I would describe as a nightmare without waking up, but he was so little it's hard to know what to make of it.

I hope this stage passes quickly> it sounds very scary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: