Sunday, February 25, 2007
grandpa's birthday bash
Grandpa turned ## this week. I am not allowed to say his real age, but I think I should be as he looks and acts decades younger than he is. OK, let's just say that Grandpa was between 35 and 40 when I was born and I am 42. I can't get in trouble because I only gave you a hint (right Dad?).

The whole family went over to grandma and grandpa's this past Wednesday night for dinner. Grandma made lasagna and everyone ate it and liked it. How come the kids don't eat it when I make lasagna? I guess I better get Grandma's recipe.

Our oldest daughter, Samantha, made grandpa a beautiful card from all of us. Our youngest son, Garrett, was appalled that we weren't actually going to give grandpa a gift we could wrap. Because, lets be honest, what's a party without gifts to unwrap (according to my children putting something in a gift bag does not count).

Garrett went up to his room and found an old World War 2 book. He really likes looking at the old pictures in this book, and since grandpa served in WW2, he thought he might like it for his birthday gift. Grandpa did indeed like it and Garrett and all of the kids enjoyed looking through the book and hearing stories about Grandpa's war days. When it was time to leave we decided that Garrett could keep the book but bring it back when we visited again so they could share some more stories. My little son is so sweet, and tender hearted. He gave his grandpa the best gift ever by offering to give something up that he cared about for someone he loved very much. I doubt their was anything in a store we could have bought Grandpa that would have meant as much to him.

Here are some pics of our fun evening together.


Grandpa and Garrett sharing a laugh

Our middle son Tyler, sitting in chair, really likes to talk "war stories" with Grandpa.


Grandma cooking dinner



Hubby and the kids playing "concentration". I think my parents have had this same game since I was a little girl. My kids love it.


Lighting the candles on the birthday brownies. Hubby stopped on his way home from work and got a cocunut cream pie for the birthday boy. The grown ups enjoyed that very much!



The new addition to their family. Our oldest had fun playing with her.

The entire family had a great time. Happy Birthday Grandpa! We love you very much!

Labels:


  posted at 12:55 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 8:40 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

What a great time for your family. It is good to get these kinds of things recorded for posterity. Must have been great stories!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

What a thoughtful, generous young man Garrett is! A true gift from the heart.

Happy birthday to your dad! It must be the time of year for birthdays. My MIL's and my grandpa both had a birthday yesterday, and it seems people whose blogs I read have been celebrating family member's birthdays recently. My DH and DD both have birthdays this coming week, too.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Hi Julie -- Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Thanks for the post on my blog, I'm going to add you to my roll if that's OK (if not, let me know.)

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: