Tuesday, February 20, 2007
"In Other Words"
"Those who read fast reap no more advantage than a bee would by only skimming over the surface of the flower, instead of waiting to penetrate into it, and extract its sweets."
~ Madame Jeanne Guyon ~



This quote was meant for me. I am an extremely impatient person. I want things done now, and I want instant gratification. I know this is a problem of mine, and I have been working on remedying it for a few years. I have made some progress and have been known to count to 10 (or 100) in my head, slowly, forcing myself to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Many times while reading my Bible I feel Gods hand on my shoulder urging me to slow down, take in his words like the sweet smell of wild flowers, patiently gleaning all of its truths and allowing myself that special time with God. I would like to say that I have perfected this (after all, I have been working on it for years) but alas I have not. Though I am getting better, I have a long way to go.

I was also thinking of how this verse could apply to other areas of our lives. Those of us who are mothers with young children could probably learn how to go slower, play with our children more, enjoy those quiet moments with our kids before they are adults. Do you think God ever feels this way about us? He wants to watch us grow up and mature in a relationship with him, but when we race through reading our Bibles he feels sad because he wants to share those moments with us.

The other day my 8 year old saw his three your old sister struggling to make a tower out of her lego's. He went over and sat with her, showing her how to do it, talking to her sweetly. He wasn't racing through the moment but enjoying his time with his little sister. Guiding her, listening to her, and enjoying being with her. I think I have much to learn from my little son.





If you would like to read about other people's feelings on this quote head on over to Laurel Wreath. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Blessings,
Julie

Labels:


  posted at 4:45 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Awesome post, sweet blessings to you.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Julie I loved reading your heart in this post. And that picture is too precious for words, makes me melt my heart.

Thank you so much for participating in IOW, you have blessed me.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Very good take on this quote.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

i'm like you, I feel God's hand on my shoulder when I read, and yet I've got a longgggg way to go!

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful illustration looking at your kids. I am sure that is how God wants us to sit down with Him and listen...I have to slow down sometimes too, to savor my time with God

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this week's IOW quote.

Blessings on your evening and always...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: