Monday, October 12, 2009
Getting Used To The New Normal
Today I sent my oldest son to the doctor. By himself.

He has an ingrown fingernail that started looking infected.

I gave him cash, his insurance card and directions.

My first born will turn 18 on Sunday. He definitely needs to know how to do these things.

Why is it so hard for me to let go?

I called the High School to excuse his absence and the clerk says to me "Oh, this is probably the last time you will have to do this for him. As of next week he can sign himself in and out."

Huh?

It seems once you turn 18 you have certain rights even if you are still a senior in High School.

I very sternly explained to him that his Dad and I expect he will not be abusing this privilege. The kid already has senioritice and school has only been back in for a month.

This is going to be a loooong school year for him.

However, there are some perks to having a responsible almost 18 year old living in your house.

I finished school with the other kids early and Zach took Tyler to his Auto Shop class this afternoon. Samantha watched the other kids and I took off for a couple hours of shopping All. By. Myself.

I feel like I just had a weeks vacation at the beach.

I really do love my life!
*******************************************************************************
Note: I am still working on my second post in the Homeschooling through high school post. I will try and have it up by the end of the week.

Labels: ,


  posted at 7:27 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Yep, they're 18 before you know it. It's hard to let loose even a little. But the wonderful part is you get to see your child turn into a wonderful adult that makes you so proud. All that hard work pays off and gives back over and over again.

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Kimmie said...

I have an 18 year old too. There are certainly many perks about 18!

All by yourself time...oh I bet it was sweet, so what did you do?

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Ugh. School and 18 year olds. I don't even have access to my son's grades through the school's website anymore. Apparently, I need to have his permission, now that he's 18.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: