Tuesday, July 07, 2009
The Boys Of Summer
The night ended with my 10 year old son standing on the mound in tears.

His team had just lost a game they were highly favored to win.

His team had been taken over by aliens for a few hours this evening. Boys who could catch balls and turn double plays just yesterday couldn't make the most basic of plays.

We lost 15-14. Generally if you put 14 runs on the board in an All Star game you are going to win. That is if your team mates can remember how to catch the ball.

To say it was painful would be an understatement.

However, it happens to the best of them.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels, Mets, etc. have all had such loses.

My heart broke for my child as he just sat down and cried after the game. Something I have seen him do only one other time.

I walked over and tried to comfort him as did several other parents.

I told him I was sorry they had to lose this way, however, their was some good news.

"What" he asked?

Well, no longer will our days have to be planned around practices and games. We can go to the beach, stay up late making smores, pitch a tent in the back yard and go to the drive in whenever we want.

That got a smile out of him.

Soon we were home and the seven of us were laying around eating a late dinner of burritos from the local take out place. Giggles and laughter had replaced the tears.

Tonight as I lay in bed I found I couldn't sleep.

The events of the night were still bothering me. I was thinking of the days in the not to distant future when I wouldn't be able to solve all my sons hurts with a promise of a chocolate bar and a trip to the beach.

There will be hurts that I cannot fix. It is hard for me to accept this.

Tonight it is late as these thoughts race through my head and I am reminded of why we need to nurture and grow our children's faith and knowledge of the Lord.

He can heal them when we cannot. He can guide them in ways we never can. Their trust in Him is so much more important than their trust in us. He is the great healer.

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will
never let the righteous fall. Psalm 55:22

Labels: , ,


  posted at 2:57 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 7:12 AM, Blogger jolincountry said...

Absolutely!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

It tears at our mommy's heart, doesn't it? I'm sorry about your boys' loss; it is one of those hard things about growing up. I'm glad he has such a good Mama to comfort him.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

Oh, what a great post. You are a good mommy and all SEVEN of your kids (wow, 7!!!!!!) are super blessed to have you. You rock :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: