Sunday, June 28, 2009
All Star Mania - Part 2
To read part 1 click here.

Dave had been named the All Star manager at the Sunday morning meeting. The hysterical wife of the other candidate, we will call her Rose, had stormed out of the room and headed off to church where she was to sing in the choir that morning.

By all accounts she composed herself enough to sing through two services. However, after church, while heading towards her car she ran into some friends from the baseball field. One of whom is our league's ex-president and a very good friend of our families.

This is how the conversation went. Remember this is all in the open area outside of church while people are leaving services.

Rose: Do you know what that Bleepin board of directors did? They chose Dave as the All-Star manager over a "Smith". (name changed, and yes she is using the F word)

ex-pres: OK, calm down.

Rose: Can you believe what they have done to our family those bleeping people. They have ruined our lives.

ex-pres: Trying to get a word in, but can't, notices that EVERYONE is looking at this crazy insane lady who is throwing the F word around like it is nothing at all.

Ex-presidents son decides to take some action and tells Rose that he is taking her son over to the playground so he doesn't have to listen to this.

Rose immediately says no, that he should hear this. She takes her hands and places them around his face and says "Look at this face, this poor boy who has been robbed of having his father as his all star manager".

Ex-president finally gets fed up and asks this question.

What about Garrett?

Rose: What?

Ex-pres: You know, Dave's son Garrett. How would he feel if his Dad wasn't his manager?

Rose: Um, well, um, well.....I don't know.

By all accounts her ranting and raving went on for a good 20 minutes with this poor family trying to calm her down and others watching from a distance wondering if they should intervene.

Do you think that this particular person was putting a little to much emphasis on baseball in her life? Had a few boundaries been crossed here?

Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good
days,
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from
speaking lies.
Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue
it.
Psalm 34


As she ranted and raved she said some very ugly things about my husband and I. Things that no one has told us about. Things that are just to nasty to repeat. She continued to say that we hated their family and she just didn't understand why.

I have had one conversation with Rose where I was even remotely mean. If you could call it that.

You see, their team always prayed on the field before every game. Many thought this was so nice. Inwardly, it made me cringe. In my humble opinion, if you are going to put your faith out there like that you better make darn sure your actions during the game are representing Christ in a positive way.

No one ever wanted to play their team. They were always obnoxious. Sore winners and losers.

After one game where they lost (of course, because of bad umpire calls) I heard her using some language that did not match up with the Christian faith. I couldn't help myself and I walked up to her and asked this question....

"Is that any way for a daughter of the King to act"?

She looked at me repentantly and walked away.

She obviously knew she was not acting appropriately.

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is
wise. Proverbs 10

While all this drama and inappropriateness was going on at the church down the street my husband headed over to Rose's husbands place of business to speak with him.

As he walked up he knew that Rose had already informed her husband of the Boards decision by the look on Pete's face (name changed).

They had a very nice conversation where Dave told him he would really like it if Pete would be one of his coaches. He thought that their two styles could compliment each other and he would like to have him involved with the team.

My thought about this was "keep your friends close, your enemies closer".

However, my husband is a much nicer person than I am. Even after all the mean things said about him he understood how this other Dad was feeling. He was trying to be the better person.
Pete agreed to help and thanked Dave for asking him. Something that I am 100% certain would not have happened if the shoe had been on the other foot.

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to
advice.
A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man
overlooks an insult.
A truthful witness gives honest
testimony, but a false witness tells lies.
Reckless words
pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings
healing.
Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue
lasts only a moment.
There is deceit in the hearts of those who
plot evil, but joy for those who promote peace.
No harm
befalls the righteous, but the wicked have their fill of
trouble.
The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in
men who are truthful.
Proverbs 12


The next night we had All-Star try outs up at the baseball fields. Hundreds of boys and girls nervously waiting for their turn to show off their talent and get one of the coveted spots on the 9/10 All Star team. The team my husband would be putting together. The final decision was his.

I felt for these kids that night. As I walked up the sidewalk towards the fields and felt every eye on me my stomach was feeling a little nervous too. I was wondering how many of these families had witnessed and/or heard about Rose's freak out at the board meeting and at the Church?

I really just wanted to go and hide under a rock. I had to keep reminding myself that I had done nothing wrong. Hold your head up high and smile I told myself. I did, and everyone smiled back. People began coming over and giving me big hugs and whispering words of encouragement in my ear.

Well, that answered that question, it seemed that EVERYONE knew what had happened.

As I stood by the railing watching the kids on the field several friends came over and stood on either side of me.

Don't worry, they said, we are here to protect you. We aren't going to let anything happen to you. Mr. Bennett is here (he's a police officer) and he knows what happened. We will stand here with you in case Rose shows up with a knife or something.

WHAT?????????????????????????????????

Julie, I don't think you fully understand how out of control and angry she is.

Obviously not.

Just then, I see Rose walking up the sidewalk towards the field and me. My heart starts to beat frantically and I think to myself "I am really not in the mood for this".

to be continued

Labels:


  posted at 12:13 PM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? You are going to make us wait again??

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

you did NOT.

I logged on after a horrible sleep battle with Li'l Empress, the likes of which we have not had since this past winter. I logged on hoping for some funny story and some de-stressing.

you did NOT. JUST. LEAVE. ME. HANGING'. AGAIN.

I'm going to bed. My heart can't handle the stress. AGAIN.

:)

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way that Anonymous is me: Sunshine Girl.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Isn't there some kind of blogging rule against this?



And? This is why men were put as heads of the households by God.

You better post soon woman!!!!!! :)

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I'm sorry guys to keep you hangin. I just didn't have time to type any more. I will try to finish tonight. If it makes you feel better I am alive and no one actually stabbed me.

Not yet at least.

Luv,
Julie

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Missy said...

The cut-throat world of youth sports!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: