Monday, June 29, 2009
All Star Mania - Part 3
part one, part two


I was feeling uneasy and wanted to be anywhere but at the ball park at that moment. I had prayed throughout the day, many times, for God to let me be a shining light for his kingdom. For people to see in me something that they wanted. Not to put praise or glory on me but on Jesus. I prayed for strength and self control.

I stood at the fence watching the boys and girls hit balls and run the bases as my husband and his coaches evaluated them. At one side a great friend and a man of faith we will call John and on the other his newly chosen second coach, Pete, who's wife had literally seemed to lose her mind.

I watched as people whispered around me. No one could figure out why Pete was sitting with my husband. The crowd began to stir with the news that Pete had actually been made a coach on the team. People were trying to figure out if my husband was a complete fool or one of the nicest and most forgiving people around.

To answer them I would have to say neither. He was trying to be a good Christian. To live his faith. To do what Jesus would have done. We talked a lot the night before about how this family really seemed to be in crisis. There had to be something else going on besides their desire to run the All-Star team. It just didn't seem right. We talked about how maybe God wanted us to befriend this couple. They didn't seem to have a lot of close friends, a lot of support, and we had heard through the grape vine that they were struggling a little with some problems in their lives. Maybe God was sending us on a mission and we needed to put our own pride and needs aside for a minute and befriend this family. We both agreed that it would be easier to just ignore them and hope it all went away, however, deep in our hearts we knew that was not what we were suppose to do.

As I watched Pete's wife, Rose, walking up the sidewalk towards the fields I tried to remember this. Friends standing by me were sure she was going to do something bad once she reached my side. I really didn't know what I would do or say. I was praying for the Holy Spirit to guide me once the moment got here.

Rose walked up and very sweetly said "Hi guys, how are try outs going"?

That was it. She acted like Nothing. Had. Happened.

I smiled and told her it seemed to be going well and we talked for a few minutes about a few of the kids and how they were doing. She then walked off to the snack bar to buy a drink and I didn't see her for the rest of the night.

Friends around me started to talk and say some unkind things about Rose. The Holy Spirit really convicted me that I needed to stop this in its tracks right now. I called my friends together and told them that I thought we all needed to pray for this family. Something had happened to make them so upset and we needed to lift them up and not tear them down at this moment.

Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take
advice.
Proverbs 13

Now, lest you think I am a saint, I had vented and ranted and said many unkind things to my best friend before this moment had happened. Everyone needs someone safe to be able to let it all out with. Believe me there were many tears and harsh words. Then I prayed. Only by God's grace was I holding it together at this moment and not ripping her newly highlighted golden locks out of her head piece by piece. Though, the thought did occur to me many times.

As the evening ended, Dave finalized the list of kids who would be placed on the team. It was late into the night by this time and we were all tired. However, our league has a tradition where the kids who make the team wake up to find signs in their yard that say "Congratulations, you have made the All - Star team for the 2009 season! We put them on stakes in the yard, they each have the players name on it, and the kids can keep them as mementos. It is very fun.

One of my best friends and I went around placing the signs in the kids yards. It was almost midnight so most of the houses were dark. When we drove up to Pete's house Rose came running out of the house and gave me a big hug and thanked me for putting up the signs. Her and Pete's son is an excellent player. There was really no doubt in anybodies mind that he would make the team, especially since Pete was now one of the coaches. Perhaps in the backs of their minds, due to all that had happened, they weren't completely sure.

The first practice was the next day and things have seemed to calm down. Pete tried to take over a few times and hubby had a meeting with him letting him know that He was the manager and he would make all final decisions, though he did appreciate any input he would like to give. At first Dave wasn't sure he could do it. They are so different. However, Pete seems to have calmed down quite a bit and everyone has kind of forgotten the drama of two weeks ago.

It is hard to believe that it was two weeks ago today that they had that meeting on an early Sunday morning.

The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but a perverse tongue will
be cut out.
Proverbs 10

Yesterday we had Pete's family over with some other good friends of ours for a pool party. Both the kids and adults had a great time.

I am proud of the way our family has handled this very hard situation. However, I know that these people most likely really are not our true friends. I watch what I say and am guarded, while at the same time trying to show a Christ like understanding and love towards these people. We may be nice, but we are not fools. There is a definite difference.

Tonight is our first game. I am feeling stressed. If the team does not do well they will say it was because of my husband. I know I really need to just let it go and not worry about it. However, it is so very very hard.

I asked Dave one favor. Please don't let Garrett be the starting pitcher in game 1. I always get anxious when my kids pitch. I want them to do well and my stomach is in knots for the entire game. Him pitching added with the general anxiety of the first game and all that has gone on might just send me over the edge.

He has made me no promises.

The coaches met yesterday to plan their strategy. When Dave asked them who should start game 1 they said either Garrett or this one other boy who is a really good pitcher. The first team we play is said to be a little easier than the second. That would mean Garrett should pitch game one and we leave our ace, the other boy, for game two.

Lord help me, please!

I keep thinking that we should have just gone on vacation to a warm beach somewhere and relaxed instead of playing All-Stars. However, I know that would never happen. My husband loves it and so do my kids.

A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an
offense.
Proverbs 19

Even with all the drama we have met some of the best and nicest people in the whole world through this 10 year odyssey of Little League baseball. Most of it is fantastic. The other 5% really is the pits sometimes.

Pray for me tonight if you get a chance. Help me to keep my light pointing towards Jesus, and the enemies grip far from my tongue.

Labels:


  posted at 12:20 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 11:59 AM, Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

Okay. I'm better now. Good grief, you know how to stretch a woman's tolerance for suspense, doncha? :)


So, being totally serious now. I'm so impressed at your conviction and your stand for Christ. If nothing else, your kids have learned first hand how to honor Christ in all we say and do, even in heated moments. Good for you.

And I'm positive that your commitment to showing the love of Jesus thru it all will bear much fruit. Big, sweet, juicy fruit that is sweet to the Savior!

You rock!

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Wow!!!! You are a sports-mama role model!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: