Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Working on Kindness
During the Advent Season our family is really good about meeting together in the evening for some scripture and story reading. The rest of the year that whole idea seems to kind of fall apart.

At the begining of 2009 Dave and I decided that we wanted that to change. I searched for devoitonals, inspirational stories, anything that would bring us together.

We finally decided on a drastic course of action.

We would read the Books of the Bible together as a family.

What a concept, huh?

Two or three nights a week we meet together for some time as a family. I would like to say it was every night, but I am happy with the balance we have found between sports and God. It definitely doesn't seem as one sided anymore, the tetor totter had definitely been tilted in the wrong direction for a while.

After we read a Chapter or two in the Bible we do one of the lessons in this book.

I noticed that my children have not been very respectful and kind to each other lately and I wanted us to discuss what the Bible had to say about kindness.

The book has 24 rules you can use in your house and you can add to them to make your own kind of "Family Constitution".

We have been working on this one for a few weeks:



We love one another, treating others with kindness, gentleness, and respect.

Dave and I are both sarcastic people thus we have produced 5 children who think sarcasm is fabulous. However, at times, it can sound cruel and unkind. We need to watch that around here.

I love the fact that you work on each rule for 5 nights, and each night there are different discussions and Bible verses to look up regarding that rule. This book can be geared for older or younger children. I usually just use it as a guideline and then add my own information and questions to some of theirs for my high school age kids.

I usually make a snack or something to make the time more fun. We have had some great discussions during this time and I have learned things about my children I never knew.

Here are some pictures of Valentines Day Evening. I got a few little gifts for the kids and let them open them before our devotional. It was fun.


Garrett was very excited about his bubble gum (We generally have a no gum rule in our house).

Paige having a hard time waiting for her turn.


Tyler's happy. Paige is daydreaming about what could be in her bag (it was a my little pony baby).




Samantha got some new sleep pants.



I love my family, and I love spending time with them. Making 2009 the year we have scheduled time together in the evening has been one of the best decisions we have ever made.

If you have teenagers I would highly recommend doing this. Its amazing how lose their lips get when they are relaxed and bribed with sugar.

I only have a few short years left with my teens and I am determined to fill their hearts with God's truth's before I set them off into the world.

I really wish I truly understood how fast the time would go by when they were little. It's almost time for the oldest to spread his wings and fly (18 months until the first day of college). While he may be ready, this mom isn't so sure she is.


Labels: , ,


  posted at 12:00 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Julie that sounds awesome. You guys keep it up! Your kids are very lucky to have parents who will do this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: