Monday, September 15, 2008
The Family Diner
Last week Zach asked if he and a few friends could come home for lunch on Wednesday. I was thrilled. I don't see my high schooler's as much as I would like. Between school and sports it's pretty much homework and bed when they get home. I would love to have the extra time with him and his friends.


We decided that Wednesday would be the day I would make them all lunch. It was a pretty day so I BBQ'd hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, made some pasta salad, and threw out some chips and lemonade.


He came home with 5 friends which meant between them and Samantha, Garrett and myself we had 9 for lunch. It was lots of fun (they get 50 minutes for lunch) and we all sat outside to eat. The boys thought it was great to have a hot meal in the middle of the day and asked if we could make this a weekly event? Um, OK, I replied.


My hesitation was not because I did not want them to come back. It was strictly financial. These boys eat a lot of food and I would definitely need to figure out some more economical meals if we were going to make this a regular weekly occurrence.


This is what I figure I spent last week on the meal;


3 lbs. of hamburger 1.29 lb. = $3.87

1 package hot dogs $1.50

Buns $2.49

2 Bags of Chips $3.00

Pasta Salad;

Noodles $1.49

Cucumber .69

Tomatoes 1.25

olives .79

red bell pepper .50

salad dressing 2.29

Total: $17.87


That means lunch was about $1.98 a person.


I didn't add in the lemonade or spices for the pasta because I already had them on hand.


If we are going to do this on a weekly basis I would really prefer to keep the cost at no more than $1.50 per person. Less than that would be fantastic!


This is where you all come in my thrifty friends. Do you have any idea's for me for feeding a bunch of teenage boys? I have already been informed that this week there will be ten boys coming home with Zach for lunch. I had to tell him this would be his limit and no more than ten per week could come along. I had visions of this turning into a soup kitchen type operation once the boys found out there was free warm food around the corner at Zach's house.


So, any ideas? Let me know what you think?


There may even be a prize in it for the person who gives me the best idea.

Labels: , ,


  posted at 7:38 AM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

I know you are in Cali, so it may not be as cool there as it would get here, but what about chili or soup with grilled cheese or peanut butter sandwiches?

Your an awesome mom to be doing this! :)

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Mandalyn said...

How great to have them all over!!

You could fancy up sandwiches by putting them in a panini maker! Add chips and dip--and there you go!:)

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Hi Jessica,

I was also thinking of chilli but it will need to cool off a little more for that. The grilled cheese idea is definitely a keeper also.

I love the panini idea, Mandalyn, that sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks ladies,
Julie

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking you should get another mom or two involved and split it up. One do the main dish, one do the sides and one do the dessert and then rotate.

 
At 4:34 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Well, spaghetti could be quite inexpensive, but I am with the anonymous commenter. Try to get the other kids to contribute (chips, drinks, whatever). OR, do it once a month instead.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Created For His Glory said...

What a great idea and wonderful memories you are creating!!!

What about baked spaghetti/bread?
Tacos? (when shells are on sale!)
Sloppy joes?
Pasta/chicken salad?

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Created For His Glory said...

Forgot...
Mac and Cheese
Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Soup

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Wow, you guys rock! Thanks for the idea's. I think I will have the kids draw a name out of a hat and then I will send the winner a Starbuck's card I have laying around. I'll draw on Friday so if you have more ideas layem on me!!!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Spaghetti!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

I'm not sure I'd have been willing to do it weekly or with so many boys, lol, you are very brave. You know, they could pitch in, I'm sure they wouldn't mind throwing in a buck or so each week. That would help a bunch.
Tuna sandwiches and veggies would be good. Pita bread makes a nice sandwich, but gets pricey.
Hotdogs without burgers can be cheap enough. And if you make homemade, pizza can be cheap for that many boys.
Chili is yummy and filling if you do it in a bread bowl or over fries. Huge bags of fries are cheap enough. Try chicken chili over fries for a great variation.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup used to be cheap, but cheese is really expensive now, and it isn't all that filling.

I agree that sloppy joes are a great idea! on bread instead of buns makes it even cheaper, and bigger portions.

I'm sure that even peanut butter and jelly with some fruit slices will be welcome for a lunch away from school enjoying friends.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOUP! Get a soup cookbook or usually The Joy of Cooking or Fannie Farmer-type cookbooks have a large soup section. Or find some recipes on the internet. I mean the homemade kind where you can use dried beans (soaked the night before) and veggies. You can make all kinds of chilis, tomato soup, squash/pumpkin soup, etc. It's easy to vary it. The beans are filling as well as the veggies due to the fiber, not to mention nutritious! Also, you can make a large cookie sheet or two of cheese bread, or a loaf of garlic bread to go along. We use old hamburger buns or bread (gotten for reduced price at the bread factory store), spread with butter, sprinkle with grated parmesan or other cheese. My kids cannot get enough, even the teenagers! They often eat two or three slices, soaking up all the soup. FYI, our church makes soup every Sunday for the entire congregation; they wouldn't be able to do this if it wasn't economical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: