Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Game One, A New Recipe, and Sun Down
Well, my morning post was premature as the heat got up to a whopping 94 degrees today and the smoke returned when the winds shifted.

Here is a picture of the sun going down and the light reflecting off the smoke. You can go here to see what it looks like from my bedroom without all the smoke.



This picture doesn't really do it justice. Their is lots of black and white smoke coming over the hills. The kids had a little fun watching the water dropping helicopters go by earlier in the evening. It's really hard to tell where the fire actually is, the news doesn't always give us a real good idea. My neighbor went to Target this afternoon and she said the flames were cresting the hills over there. That is about 2 miles southeast of us. I guess that's where all the new smoke is coming from.

If you are wondering the fire behind us would be the Santiago Fire in Orange County.

The fires seem to be laying down, and all the air support that has been sent in has really helped. I feel so sorry for all those people who have lost their homes.

Well now, on to some good news. The Red Sox scored four in the first inning of the World Series and it looks like they have the game well in hand. This makes Zach very happy. Anyone else with a 16 year old knows that when they are happy everyone else is happy.

Tyler called from D.C. today and he sounded like he was having a blast. They toured the White House today, went to the National Monument and the National Cathedral, and laid a wreath at The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier. They are going from dawn to dusk and I am sure he will sleep for two days when they get home. So much for all my worrying, he is doing just fine on his own. It is so hard to let go and realize they CAN survive without you.

Tonight I made some comfort food. My favorite Pork Chop recipe that my sis Stacey gave me a few years ago (who I still have not heard from, ugh). I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

Baked Pork Chops with Apples:

1 lb. of carrots
2 large yellow onions
6-8 pork chops (cut approximately 1" thick)
1 1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. tart cooking apples (I usually use granny smith)
1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed down)

Preheat oven to 350. Wash carrots and cut diagonally into 1/2" thick slices (I usually cheat and just use the baby carrots you can buy ready to eat). Place carrots into the bottom of a 3 quart casserole or into a shallow baking dish.

Cut onions into thin slices and arrange half of them over the carrots.

Wipe Pork Chops with damp paper towels, trim and discard excess fat. On waxed paper or shallow dish combine sage, salt and pepper. Dip both sides of pork chops into seasoning. Save any remaining seasoning mixture.

Arrange seasoned Pork Chops on top of carrots and onions, overlapping each chop slightly. Sprinkle chops with any remaining sage seasoning mix. Arrange remaining sliced onions on top of chops.

Peel and core apples. I love my pampered chef apple slicer corer machine for this. Slice apples into thin pieces if you don't have a slicer. When done arrange apples on top of chops and sprinkle with the brown sugar.

Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350. Uncover, baste with juices, and cook uncovered for an additional 1/2 hour. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Skim off fat and discard. Bast chops again and serve with cooked apples and vegetables. I usually make rice or noodles for a side dish.

To end the evening I am going to send you here. My sister in law (thanks Cheryl) sent this link to me today and it is hysterical. Make sure your sound is on and call your kids around the computer.

I promise it will make you smile.

Labels: , ,


  posted at 6:57 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 4:52 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Wish we could send you some of our rain...

 
At 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here, we have had rain all week. Still praying for you all.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Friedlings said...

Julie-

Since you stopped by my blog to say "hello" and introduce yourself, I was excited to do the same. Your kids are adorable! What's your secret for keeping things together AND getting your kids to all those baseball games!? I'm baffled by how to incorporate all those activities for all my kids. You make it seem pretty effortless. : )

Nice to meet you, by the way.

Good luck with your adoption journey. Enjoy it.

Randi

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Hi Julie, my mom reminded me of this recipe you had posted. She copied the recipe and I'm copying it too. Sounds real good! And I can use my apples!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: