Sunday, September 02, 2007
The Priest, The Rose Colored Dress And The Wild Bore
My friends, I have been in mini series heaven this weekend. Disc One of my all time favorite TV movie, The Thorn Birds, came last week and I have been in a frenzy of anticipation to get the 486 minutes of free time needed to view that disc.

Some of you out there may not actually know what I am talking about. If your were not allowed to stay up past 9:00pm in 1983 you most likely have never seen this wonderful film. If not you must first read the book by Colleen McCullough (FANTASTIC) and then rent the films at your local neighborhood movie store (or order through your online deliver to your door service like us lazy people do).

Anyway, Saturday at 6:00 arrived. We had already had dinner, I had cleaned the house, and the boys were busy watching some war movie with there Dad. My chance had arrived.

Oh, it was pure heaven. Until the boys movie got over and they wandered into the living room and started asking questions.

What is going on? Why is that minister wearing a dress? How come that lady is all upset?

Just as sweet Meggie is descending the staircase for Aunt Mary's 75th birthday party and her eyes catch with Ralph's, and you can see he is so in love with her even though he is trying not to be, just the sweetest moment ever, my boys say...

Mom, why are you crying? This movie is stupid!

To which I sweetly yell to the other room "Honey, the kids are ruining my fun and aren't letting me cry with my movie".

The boys are ordered to the other room to do push ups for disturbing their mother's mini series watching heaven and are told by their father not to disturb me again. He also explains why girls like to watch silly movies like that. Such a helpful man.

My joy can only be dampened by the fact that my inbox says disc 2 was sent yesterday. With the holiday on Monday I won't get to finish my mini-series marathon until Tuesday at the earliest.

Well, I guess their is a bright side. Just think how much time I can actually spend with my children instead of ignoring them while yelling at the TV screen "No Meggie, don't marry him, he's no good for you'!

Labels:


  posted at 12:17 AM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 2:16 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

I have to laugh. THis is one of my husband's favorite movies.

And, you now have 3 degrees of separation from it.

Our brother in law's dad was an executive producer on it.

So, you're part of the Thornbird family now.

Hope that holds you over til Tuesday :)

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Judy said...

I SO love that movie.. and Richard Chamberlain.. sigh... I loved him way back when he was still a doctor!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Yes, I read the book ...because...

One afternoon I was listening to a radio talk show program -- Jack Webster-- His guest was Colleen McCulough, shortly after the release of her book 'The Thorn Birds'.
I don't remember a word they said because truly Colleen's laughter still --after all these years-- rings in my ears!! She has the most infectious, belly laugh that I have ever heard and to hear her is to join her ...which is what Jack did. He kept trying to get some kind of interview going but no matter where he went it triggered that laughter again and finally he just sucummed and we listeners enjoyed an hour dedicated to laughter!!

Of course, I went out immediately to buy the book!!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I think I remember my mom watching this when I was a kid. ENjoy!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but I do remember my mom doing so back then.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Melody said...

Now see, MY husband would have sided with the kids! He's out of town with 3 of the 4 today, however, I should really check to see what's playing ON DEMAND that I can watch kid and hubby free!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

LOL, silly boys. I vaguely remember the movie and that it was pretty sad. But I know what it's like to have my time alone to do things like that. Just last week I shut myself in my room and watched "Fiddler on the Roof" and scrapbooked!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: