Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Day One
As I write this post I am a total grouch. I just started my period and am having major cramps and cravings. The idea of dieting is really not on my radar, though the large piece of chocolate cake downstairs is calling to me. Very Loudly!

I guess I should go and throw that away. Hopefully one of the ravenous wolves we call teenagers in this house will have devoured it by the time I get downstairs and I wont have to deal with it. Pretty good odds on that.

Anyway, on to dieting. I am going to start today. I need to lose around 40 pounds (I think) and will be following the weight watchers plan. I will go to my first meeting this morning (this will be around my 5th first meeting). I generally have good luck with weight watchers when I am paying attention and making weight loss and getting healthy a priority. I will come back and update this post when I get home with the exact amount I need to lose.

The women in my family generally do not have any weight problems until they are in there 40's. All except me. My sisters inherited the fast metabolism, can eat what ever I want though I do have small breasts side of the families genes. However, I inherited from my fathers side. The I have to work at it but can keep it off though it is much harder now that I am 40 large bust side of the family. I hope that wasn't to much information. lol.

When I was married at the tender age of 20 I was a size 7 and weighed around 118 pounds. I am 5' 4". Within the first year of marriage I had gained 10 pounds. People commented on how nice I looked with a little extra weight on me. I think I gained around 20 pounds in the first 6 years of our marriage. I wasn't really fat, just not as slim and in shape as I had been on our wedding day.

Then something big happened. I began having children. Life got really busy. I didn't pay attention and take care of myself. I gained a lot of weight. I saw a picture of myself and wondered who that person was? Where had I gone???

Recently I decided to stop wondering and do something. Then I came across the Tales from the Scales weight loss challenge and decided to join in.

I know what I will need to do to be successful. I must make myself a priority. I must do some sort of exercise every day. I need to plan my menus and make sure the cupboards and fridge have good food in them for me to eat. I have to do these things or I will fail. Again.

I also must realize that I will have good days and bad. Good weeks and bad weeks. I must stick with it and not get to down on myself.

I need to pray. I need to partner with God in this journey. I know he wants me to succeed and he will help me if I let him. I can't do this alone. I have tried before.

The Bible tells us that our bodies are God's temple. We are to care for them, nurture them, and keep them healthy. I intend to start doing this to this best of my ability today.

I think this will be fun, challenging, exciting and I am sure discouraging and exasperating at times. I look forward to taking this journey with all of you.

To the Scales!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels:


  posted at 6:51 AM  
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

Hi Julie! I'm also participating in the challenge and just wanted to wish you good luck and give you a big (((hug))) for a good week. :)

Oh yes, and go immediately and flush the chocolate cake down the disposal. I got rid of all double stuf oreos tonight and I cried as I sent them down the drain into the big, scary ocean. *sniff*. :)

love, Michelle

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Military Mommy said...

Hey Julie - I was going to email you but can't find your email address on your blog. If you have time, email me your address to:

militarymommyblog@yahoo.com

Off to bed now. Goodnight, sleep tight!

Michelle

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger A Juggling Mum said...

Hi,

I just wanted to pop in and wish you all the best for the challenge.

Rachel xxx
http://jugglingmum.blogspot.com

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Much luck to you. I think that turning "dieting" which can be unhealthy into a real healthy lifestyle IS the huge barrier. I think you are right about filling your cupboards with good things to eat. :)

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Nancy Murphree Davis said...

As I said in my post, making the decision to "just do it" is one of the hardest steps. We're here to support you. You can do it!

I didn't throw out any food; I ate it all this past weekend! Even my seven year old questioned the wisdom in that!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Serving Him said...

Julie, Your post about the weight loss challenge was very encouraging. I agree whole heartedly that we cannot do this alone. We need to put this on our prayer list and ask Him for strength and perseverance. Please know that you and every woman in this challenge will be in my prayers daily. I am excited about doing this and thankful to have so many partners in this. Sincerely, Serving Him

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

I'm so glad you pointed out that we need God's help in our weight loss journey. That is one of my biggest problems- forgetting to depend on Him and thinking I can do things myself!
So sorry your period started on day one of the diet, that makes it even harder, but you can do it!
My story is up too, so come by and visit- just no snacking while you're visiting! ;)

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

You can do it! I'm cheering for you!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Erin M said...

i think i can hear that cake calling me all the way from your house!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Good luck to you! I have also had good luck with WW when I've stuck to it. I have problems with the all-or-nothing mentality where if I have a bad meal, I might as well make it into a bad eating day. Not good!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Robin said...

We can do this - I know we can! Your plan sounds very sensible and reasonable. Good luck to you!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger elizabeth said...

Popping in to give you encouragement. And after reading your post I say to you - AMEN sister! I look forward to our journey together.

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What bad timing! (((HUGS))) You can do this!

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Hi! Just stopping by to encourage you on your weight loss journey.

We just got through eating a mango cake. Now I must get my mind onto healthier foods.

Hope we all have a good week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: