Monday, April 23, 2007
the need for change



"Busyness is not a spiritual gift."
From an interview with
~ Lisa Harper ~


When I read this quote, I laughed out loud. I have felt the Lord whispering almost this same exact phrase in my ear over the last 18-24 months. I felt like he had just decided to kick it up a notch to really get my attention. I have really been working on slowing down and enjoying the quiet moments. What God has been showing me is that in my circumstance it is really a control issue.

I love people and God has blessed me with a servants heart. This does not mean that every circumstance or opportunity I encounter I must take charge of. Every need at church is not my responsibility to fill. Perhaps my job is to pray for someone to step up and take ownership of the need or give encouragement to someone who may just need a little push to jump in and take charge. I do not always have to be my children's room mom, team parent or PTA volunteer. It is OK to say no.

I know God wants me to put him first and if I do all other things will just fall into place. Why can't I get this through my head? Why is it so hard to break old habits and replace them with new ones? I once read that after you have done an activity 10 days in a row it has become a habit. Something you just do without having to think about it. God and I have been having a lot of talks about this lately. I want my time with him to be something that comes naturally. A time that is so ingrained in my schedule that it just happens each day without any real thought. A time that I cannot live without.

I was excited this morning to start a new online Bible Study that The Preachers Wife is hosting. My little one was playing quietly by herself and I had the perfect opportunity to dive in and enjoy some quality time with my Heavenly Father. The phone rang. I made the mistake of answering it. I never got back to my quiet time. I was really disgusted with myself. Why couldn't I make God a priority? The answer came to me quickly. Because I had not chosen to do so.

After reading this weeks quote I felt like God was playfully reminding me of our conversations over the last few days. Not unlike fathers gently nudging their daughters in the right direction. I am so blessed to serve a Heavenly Father who is patient with me. Who understands I am a work in progress. He believes in me and is cheering me on to be the person he knows I am meant to become. I am learning, even if at times it seems like it is at a very slow snails pace.

Today when I was dropping my son off at baseball practice one of the Dad's came over to talk to me through my car window. Hey, he said, football season is coming up soon. Do you want to be our football team mom? I smiled sweetly and then responded "Absolutely not" this fall I will be spending more time with my Father. My Heavenly Father that is.

Labels:


  posted at 8:07 PM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Miriam Pauline said...

"because I hadn't chosen to [put God as priority]." Oh that is me, so often. Thank you for the reminder. Blessings to you.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Delete said...

"I know God wants me to put him first and if I do all other things will just fall into place." I have struggled with this same issue and am currently praying about my busy life. I have asked him to show me the way through this cloudy period. Your words are like God speaking to me. You pointed out that the first change I ned to make is God first. Thank you!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for speaking to my heart with this post.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Great post Julie! I wasn't going to participate this week, but I was inspired after reading great posts like this!
I have made it a habit not to answer the phone--not for any lofty reason, just because I'm not a phone person:)

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Great post! I'm with Heidi on not answering the phone but I find other ways to be distracted. Thanks for the reminder to put God first!

Blessings~

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

It is true that we can get so busy doing great things, but missing out on the GREATER things!
I like the quote =).

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Pearls of Wisdom said...

Dear Julie,
Thanks for sharing and the wonderful post. I have a servants heart too and can relate to what you are saying. Thank you for pointing out things I have been thinking.

Angel ( Angel Mama Pearls of Wisdom)

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

good for you!
Loved your post!
And I laughed too!

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great post. I enjoyed it very much! God Bless

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Wonderful post Julie! It's so similar to my thoughts (so they must be good!). Thanks for participating and may you be blessed in your desire to make God your daily habit!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

Good for you for saying 'No'. I'm sure that you felt a relief.

This quote is so true and something that we need to stay aware of.

Just keep looking to God for direction in all decisions and you won't end up with more than you should.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: