Friday, April 13, 2007
a moment missed
Last night our 8 year old hit a home run in his Little League Game. Not a "the out fielders couldn't field the ball and it rolled all over the place home run" but a "can you believe how far that kid just hit that ball!" home run. I missed it.

I am in charge of the snack bar for our league. His game started at 5:00pm. The same time the snack bar opens. I was showing volunteers what needed to be done before I went out to watch the game.

He was the first batter. I heard a loud eruption of cheers and people in line for the snack bar saying "where is she?". I knew they meant me and that I had just missed something really good. I ran out of the snack bar to see my son pass over home plate. I started to cry. I knew he was going to be so upset if he knew I missed his first "real" home run. I then saw his older brother hooting and hollering for him and knew all would be OK. Older brother almost always misses his games because of his High School baseball schedule, but tonight he was there cheering on his little bro with some of his High School friends. I could see the joy on my little mans face that his big brother had been there to see it. I felt a little better.

Shortly after my little man crossed home plate I heard some of the parents laughing. They were laughing at my husband. He was coaching third base when our son hit his "bomb" and I guess the astonishment, joy, and disbelief that passed over his face all at once was very moving and a little amusing. The parents talked about that for quite a while, they all thought it was very sweet.

I am still sad this morning, and I just can't shake the feeling. I think my sadness stems from the knowledge of how fast they really do grow up. It seems like his brother was 8 only a moment ago and now he is almost a full grown man. A moment in time I missed? Yes. I know there will be many others that I will get to share with him and the other children. However, today (for just a little while) I am going to mourn that one little moment that I just can't ever get back.

Labels:


  posted at 9:25 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Congrats to him! WTG!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Rhonda said...

I can understand the mourning. I would be the same way.

Must have an incredible evening for your family. I'm sure your little boy is still flying high. What a great memory and confidenc-builder for him.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Cakes said...

awwww...I know how that feels. Sure, it was great big brother and dad were there and cheering him on, but I know how you still wish you could have shared it with them. {{{hugs}}}

Here's to another great moment that will be coming any minute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: