Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Pioneer Days
We went on our first official field trip with our homeschool group last week. We went to Riley Farms to learn about how things were done back in the "olden days".


We learned to write with a Quill.


Working hard on getting it right.

Wow, this is harder than it looks!
Samantha made a new friend and they had fun sitting together during all of the classes.
The teacher and his students.
We learned how to make butter and we are all very thankful for the little cubes we pick up at the corner market. That is a lot of work! We also made candles and fresh apple cider. The bees were buzzing all over the machine you use to squish the apples to make the cider. I thought for sure my bee phobic kids would never go near that thing, however, they proved me wrong. Samantha was even the helper (with her new friend) who go to put all the apples into the machine.

One of the highlights of the day was the yummy carmel apple we were all given. Oh my goodness that thing was heavenly. The kids bought there Dad a 5 pound apple pie (it is his favorite) and it was so good I think he only got one piece. I'm going to have to go back sometime in the next few weeks to buy another one.

It was nice for the kids to make some more new friends. The kids and I were a little nervous about going because we didn't know anyone. I think the hardest part of this new journey of homeschooling has been all the "new" and "unknown" things. Now that we have met some people in our local group through the park days and this field trip I think we are all feeling much more comfortable. We have found everyone to be so nice and welcoming, this has really helped the kids settle in and not feel as anxious about all the changes they have been experiencing.

Just another example of God's provisions for our lives. He told me not to fret, that he had it all under control. Now I just wish he would send an Angel over this evening to take care of all those dishes in my sink. Well, maybe, I just better go do them myself, and be thankful I don't live during the pioneer days. I'm going to kiss my dishwasher tonight before I go to bed, hope hubby won't get jealous.

Labels:


  posted at 10:13 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

I am so glad you dove in and did this. I remember when you were just thinking about it--isn't it nice having them with you during the day? And can you even believe how much TIME there is now? That's what struck me last year (our first) was how much time there was to do fun things. We sure didn't have that before!

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so happy that Samantha is making friends--weren't you concerned about her? I would have loved this field trip. I am a sucker for anything Pioneer or Homesteading.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger McAngie said...

Yummy on the apple pie!

That looks like so much fun, makes me wish I homeschooled so I could play too.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

Sounds like fun to me. We used to make apple cider when I was a kid. It was HARD!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Sounds like a real fun day. I would love to attend something like that. We love learning about the old ways of doing things.

Now Julie, you've made me really hungry for a carmel apple!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: