Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Every Child Is Deserving Of A Family
Our family, like many of you, sends out an update letter each year with our Christmas Cards.

This year that letter has created quite a stir.

Why you ask?

We dropped the adoption bomb.

Our joy has become other's fodder for gossip and speculation.

It is a little amusing to me that people will call one of my sisters to get more information instead of just calling Dave or I.

I am a little surprised with some of the questions we have been receiving. Questions that really aren't any ones business but ours. Personal questions.

One of the most asked questions that really burns me is "Why are you going all the way to Africa and not adopting a child from the USA?

I find this question exasperating as it some how implies that an American child is more worthy of a family than a child from another country. All children deserve the love and security that comes from being in a family that celebrates who they are are and there special gifts. God tells us in his word that Christians are to care for the orphan. No where have I read we are to only care for those who live in our own country, town or Continent.

This question exasperates me to the point where I just want to smack the person asking it.

The last time someone asked me this I actually had an epiphany and had an answer that made the person stop and think.

I was so proud of myself, though I must really give the credit to the Holly Spirit, who I am sure gave me this fantastic come back.

As this person went on and on about how many children in our country need loving homes, I very sweetly looked at her and said, oh my goodness, you seem to have a true heart for the orphans in our country. Perhaps God has put this on your heart because he would like you to do something about it. Even adopt one of these beautiful children yourself.

Blank stare ensued. No comment was made.

I read a story recently about how many Christians would love to adopt but the financial burdens of paying for the adoption seemed overwhelming. The article went on to state that if every Christian Church in our country would sponsor one family from there congregation to adopt one child most of the available children in our country would be placed. How fantastic would that be? I definitely think Church's could do much more to help the plight of the orphan. Many would donate money to help a child even if they themselves did not feel they could adopt. Something to really think about.

Our decision to adopt from Ethiopia is, of course, a very personal one. One that I can only explain as divinely determined. We considered adopting from many countries, even from our own, before finally deciding on Ethiopia. Once that decision was made I had a great sense of peace. I knew it was the right decision.

Much prayer and consideration went into the decision. We did not just throw a dart at a map. Months of research and pondering were involved. God lead us down the path to this decision and for that I am so incredibly thankful.

More on our adoption tomorrow.

Labels:


  posted at 8:42 AM  
  17 comments



17 Comments:
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

I agree with you, each child, no matter where they live, deserves a home full of love. I think the church sponsorship of adopting parents is a marvelous idea. The cost to adopt can be very high. I myself would love to adopt, from any country; however, we are currently not able to financially make it happen. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers as you continue on your adoption path.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger missy said...

I'd reply like this: God put it on our hearts to adopt from Ethiopia for a reason...the child we will one day take into our family was meant for our family from the day he or she was conceived. To go against that prompting from God would be similar to abandoning one of your children!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I can definitely understand the exasperation of dealing with these kinds of questions.

I definitely agree about sponsorship and adoption.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Jessica, thanks so much for your support and prayers.

Missy, that is a great response, one I have actually used. I truly do believe that God is directing us towards the child that is meant for our family.

Heidi, thanks for your always kind words and support. It would be wonderful if we could have more sponsorship towards adoption of orphans.

Blessings to all,
Julie

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Julie, that was a great response. It's amazing what people will say, but hopefully they rally around you in the end.

Your comments about all of us adopting one child is very though-provoking. It's sad that the whole process is so tough and expensive.

I'm excited to hear how things go for you and your child-to-be!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger LISA said...

Julie, you have the words!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Erica said...

BEAUTIFULLY put! I can completely identify with you. We are the "first" to adopt in our family and yes we've been asked every question you could think of and then some. I think its God preparing us for the questions we'll face in the world. I love your response and I'll be using it for sure.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Okay.... I can SOOOO relate to this post. I remember when we told people we were going to adopt. The comments and questions floored me at times. Some made me laugh, some hurt me. I think people forget that many of the greats in the Bible were adopted. I mean, Jesus was adopted! I tell my daughter she is in good company!

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I find this question exasperating as it some how implies that an American child is more worthy of a family than a child from another country."

I think you said it perfectly right there.

 
At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gotten this same question many times from people in our small rural community. I often will say, "You know, there are kids all around the world that need a home and family. He calls some to adopt from the US and some to adopt from other places. He has put Ethiopia on our hearts." I love your response though about God prompting their heart!! : )

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Crissybug said...

I said it perfectly. EVERY CHILD is deserving of a Family. I find it so funny how people seem to take a personal decision that you and your family has made, and make you try to feel like it is wrong. Really it is no ones business but yours! I am sorry that people don't have the tact to respect your decision to adopt. I think it is wonderful, and can't wait to hear more about it. Your family will be blessed in so many ways!

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that so many people are questioning your family's decision. I would have thought it was news worthy of celebration!

All the best with the adoption process and I hope your newest family member is with you soon!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

I think its great!

But I have one question:
Is the Holly spirit a bit snarkier than the Holy Spirit? Cause I think I'd listen to what the Holly Spirit told me to say, too, if it shut people up.

(lol, check your spelling, hehe)

We get all sorts of questions that are none of anyone's business! And if they are asked in the right manner we are usually pretty open with it, but sometimes people are just downright awful with their questions.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Ivy Vega from www.ivysmind.com said...

Julie, each time we decide to obey the holy spirit it always gives us peace. Each time, as christians we decide to walk in faith, we are questioned. Keep walking in faith, because people will always have opinions. Is a shame they share it. You and your family will be a blessing for that child that GOD is choosing for you.
Many blessings

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Life in Fitzville said...

This is a great post. I just followed you here from "Ethiopian Tripletland".

I loved your response to the "why not an american child".

From, another crazy mom of many who adopted transracially to add to the chaos in our house.... in RedSox Nation.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Wonderful post! You had a good answer for that person. I especially love Missy's comment to your post.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Shari said...

I'm surprised that people would be shocked about you adopting. You think that they would already have been shocked by you having 5 kids. (I had 5 kids, too, and moved 3000 miles away, so my family wouldn't be surprised by anything.) I think that maybe people just want to stir the pot and cause a little commotion. They are probably jealous that you and your husband have the determination to do what you really want to do with your life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: