Saturday, December 01, 2007
Hey There, Friends, Long Time No Post

Wow, I can't believe it has been 5 days since I last posted. I guess I took an unannounced bloggy break.

Life has been crazy busy.

I got the house decorated and all the presents purchased. Now if I could just get some things wrapped I would feel a whole lot better. Maybe tomorrow.

We are the only house on our street that does not have our outside lights up yet. Never mind that no one on the surrounding streets has there's up either. Our kids think we are awful for being the only non lit house on our street. Guess what we'll be doing after church tomorrow?




Poor hubby. Tomorrow is his birthday and not only does he have to get the lights up (so his children will stop bugging him) he has to take a 5:00pm flight to Arizona for a business meeting Monday morning. On his birthday. I feel really bad about that.

So, to remedy the situation, the kids and I had a meeting and we decided that tomorrow is not their Dad's birthday. It is actually on Monday. We will celebrate and pamper him when he gets off the plane Monday afternoon. That way he can relax a little and not have to hurry off in the middle of our little celebration.

This past week we also had Paige's first appointment with her Neurologist. I wasn't really impressed. He basically told us that he felt she had a speech disorder (yeah buddy we already know that) combined with a disorder on the Autism Spectrum. Or, an Autism Spectrum Disorder. So, what does that mean? Uh, about a million things. There are a lot of disorders on the Autism Spectrum. He didn't seem real interested in helping us figure out which one it is. I asked about some new therapies I heard about and he basically said he didn't think they worked. He was definitely old school and basically told us to continue sending her to speech therapy and he would see her in another year when it would be easier to diagnose a specific disorder.

Umm, yeah.

Part of the problem was Dave and I didn't go into the meeting very well prepared. I thought he was going to suggest tests, therapies, and other avenues of treatment. Well, I was obviously very naive in my thinking.

As a result we are requesting a second opinion from a different neurology group. We would like them to do a blood test and check for chromosomal abnormalities and also do an MRI. After reading up on Autism and other disorders I found this to be a pretty standard first approach. Hopefully the new doctor will agree with us.

In other news our social worker is coming to our house on Wednesday for our Home visit. I am a little stressed about getting the house in order by Wednesday night. I only have Tuesday what with Dave's birthday party on Monday. If you saw what my house looks like right now you would be stressed to. Hopefully he won't look in closets.

Well, I better go. My sweet 11 year old girl is sleeping next to me. She went ice skating this afternoon for 5 hours and came home with a bad head and stomach ache. She has just fallen off to sleep so I am going to try and sneak back downstairs to clean the kitchen before I head to bed.

Have a blessed Sunday tomorrow.

Labels: , , ,


  posted at 8:58 PM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At 5:39 AM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

THis time of year = less blogging.

We just put up our lights this weekend, and not too many other people in our neighborhood have them yet. However, I"m glad we did because it snowed last night.

I definitely would get a second opinion from another doctor and maybe seek out help from an autism awareness group. They may be more able to point you to the resources you need.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger lorettaspeaks said...

Just recently found your page. I'm impressed that you've finished your shopping. I'm not even close to finishing. Good for you to keep searching for the right doctor.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Rochelle said...

I so can relate to "crazy busy." My hubby is hanging the Christmas today as well, of course it's not his birthday. I'll remind him of that if he starts to complain. :)

Have a great Sunday!!

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know at our home visit our social worker hardly looked in each room. They just make sure you have a place to put the baby, smoke detectors, and if you have guns that they are locked up separately from the ammo. It is mostly just asking you questions.

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

I'm sorry you got such an uncaring doctor, good move on the second opinion!
There is a really great product that we have used to deal with some things here that I think would help your daughter. It is called Chlorella, and it is a natural whole food product, so the side effects are rare and only include the rare food allergy or constipation as you get used to the product, which can be alleviated by cutting back on the product.
My son had speech problems, learning problems, communication problems, and behavior problems, some anger issues and a lack of understanding about what his actions did, and no empathy.
He is a different person now! I wish we had found this earlier. We haven't been able to completely change things for him, but he wasn't able to read in until 5th grade, and we started soon after that, now he is reading on grade level! The only issue we have left is some minor problems with the communication and empathy.
I would not allow testing and diagnosis of any disorders, so I couldn't tell you what the doctors would say.
But he was NOT into the hugging and affection, but he just started, at 14, to give hugs!

Oh, and thanks for entering my giveaway!
and don't worry too much about your house being clean for social workers, they don't like kids to go to museum clean homes. They want people who are real.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I believe I've been to your site before. It's so warm and family oriented. Good for you to be the advocate for your girl and not give into old school stuff.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger missy said...

You have all your shopping done?!?!? You are awesome girl!!

Good luck with all the stuff going on. Sounds like it would be easy to get overwhelmed, especially during the holidays, so peace be with you!

Hope your daughter is feeling better!

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a lot going on! I am sorry your dr. visit didn't go as you hoped. Perhaps the next doctor will be more helpful.

Enjoy your hubby's birthday festivities!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Good for you going for another opinion! When is your appt?
Don't feel bad about no lights outside. If your kids lived here, they wouldn't have any lights outside no matter what. Instead, they'd be going crazy at the gym everyday :)
Merry Christmas!

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Lisa Spence said...

All your shopping?!? Wow, I am well impressed, and maybe a little envious, but I'll be sure to repent!

I had planned to do the lighted garland deal on my porch this year...something I've done in years past, but not last year...but then three of the light strands were blown, thus killing any Christmas-decorating spirit I had! :-)

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Melody said...

First of all, having shopping done trumps lights EVERY time!

Secondly, I know nothing about medical stuff unless it has to do with kidney disease, but I do know that a doctor who seems not to care too much about making life as absolutely wonderful for your daughter as possible, needs to lose a patient! I'll pray for you to find the absolutely perfect team for her and I'll pray for your home visit....the very thought of even my mother showing up at my house at the moment puts me in a cold sweat! So I'm all over the prayers for you girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: