Monday, September 03, 2007
Hubby's Household Hint
Our oldest son, Zach, hates to shop. I have been bugging him all summer to come shopping with us to get a few new things for school. No, he would say, I have enough clothes. Don't worry about me.

True he had clothes. His wardrobe consisted of three pairs of shorts, a few pair of jeans, and about 8 t-shirts. That is it. He is very picky so I never attempt to buy anything for him if he is not with me.

He is in charge of doing his own laundry so last night, in preparation for the first day of school which is tomorrow, he threw his entire wardrobe into the wash and added a few of his little sister things as well.

Today when he went to fold his laundry he found that almost all of his clothes had been dyed either green or yellow. It looked like someone had taken a marker and written all over his clothes.

The culprit? Yellow and green crayons Paige had left in the pocket of her Capri pants.

A little panic set in as we were deciding if we could get them cleaned up in time for school tomorrow.

Much to Zach's dismay it was decided we should run out and buy him a few new things just in case we couldn't get the crayon out of his ENTIRE wardrobe.

I took Zach to the mall and Dave stayed home and investigated remedies to remove the baked on crayon from the clothes.

He found this at the Crayola website and I thought I would share it with all of you in case any errant crayons get put into your dryers to melt all over the clothing.

Spray affected areas with WD-40 (I would suggest doing this outside as it is really stinky), then rub liquid laundry detergent into the affected area as well. Rewash in wash machine with detergent and a little bleach (we used OxiClean).

Dave did this while we were gone and got the crayon stains out of all the whites. He is still working on the colors.

Who knew WD-40 had so many uses?

Though I am sorry it happened, I am glad I finally found a way to get my certain teenager to go shopping with me for a few new badly needed items.

Labels: ,


  posted at 10:16 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Too, too funny.

Well, it is. Ya know.

Thanks for the tip, though! I wonder if that will work for modeling clay.

I'm just sayin'

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

How unfortunate! I wouldn't have thought of WD 40!!

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I hope your shopping trip was successful! So do you think this means that your son will either not willingly was his sister's clothes again or that he'll check pockets from now on?:)

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Rochelle said...

Oh my! LOL! I will certainly keep WD40 in mind! I haven't washed crayons yet, thankfully. But just in case! Did you know that hairspray works to get ink out of the carpet?

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Qtpies7 said...

W-D 40 has TONS of uses!
We find crayons, markes, pens, pencils, money, nuts and bolts, candy and empty candy wrappers... the list goes on, in our laundry. This summer we've been spared from any real disasters since our dryer is dead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: