Thursday, July 26, 2007
Heartache
Our oldest son is playing in a baseball tournament about 2 hours from our home this week. My friend Jackie took the week off work to take her son and mine back and forth so we wouldn't have the expense of renting a hotel room.

At the last minute I decided to drive yesterday and pick up Jackie and her son so we could all spend the day togehter.

I don't get to watch Zach play baseball uninterupted that much so I was looking forward to a day in the sun with my girlfriend and my number one fifteen year old son.

Dave so wonderfully stayed home with the other kids so I could go. I will also add here that Dave does not miss many of Zach's games so it was a real sacrifice on his part to let me have this day alone with our son.

Anyway, we left at 10:30am and got to the first game an hour before game time which was 2:00pm. They were to play two nine inning games so Jackie and I settled in with our coolers, umbrellas, and snacks for a day of great baseball.

The first game was great. The boys played well but lost a heart breaker in the 10th inning 7-6.

Then came the second game.

Against the Amazon Men.

This tournament was for boys 16 and under. Some of these boys were 17. With full beards and mustaches. I don't think their was a young man on the other team shorter than six feet.

We held our own against them for a few innings but then the flood gates openned and our team seemed to fall apart. This has happened before so it wasn't really that big of a deal. It is great for the boys to play against more experienced players. This is how they grow and get better. I do not have a problem with it at all.

My only real surprise of the afternoon was my sons sudden inability to play ball the way he has for years.

He could not hit. He could not field.

After the game he said he was so embarassed. This was the worst game of his life. Unfortunately, I could not honestly disagree with him.

We talked about how he needed to use this experience and grow from it. We both knew he was a good ball player and he just needed to get up and play again tomorrow.

Even the guys in the Major Leagues have a bad day every now and then.

They have a game again today at 8:00am.

Unfortunaltely that means he has to get up at 4:00am to be able to get ready and get their on time.

I found myself praying a few moments ago for God to intervene and help him to have a good game tomorrow. I am not good at letting my kids fail. Even though I know in my heart that God can use their failures for growth and to help mold them into the people he wants them to be.

I don't want them to hurt or feel heart ache. I want only happy smiles all the time.

I know this is not how the real world works. Failure is a part of life.

Even in baseball.

Labels: ,


  posted at 2:07 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just think this is one of the hardest things as parents! I know that my kids have to face difficulties; I just don't want them to! I hope today's game is better. This is one of the things,however, that I think is so great about sports. They have to learn to deal with wins and losses! This will benefit them so much in life!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

That's always tough! Hope he has a better day today!!!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

I can see how that would be so heartbreaking to watch.

I agree with Lauren that sports offers a great way for kids to learn about the highs and lows of life and the importance of bouncing back after a fall. Also, what a great opportunity to talk about how our identity is in Christ, not in how we perform in any given area. (A lesson I find myself still learning day to day!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: