Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Answering Gods Call
A family from our area were contestants on the show Wife Swap a few weeks ago. I don't usually watch this show because, to be honest, it completely annoys me. The kids really wanted to watch the episode and I was a little curious myself so, we sat down with a bowl of popcorn and settled in for an evening of entertainment.

The woman from our area was a "little" different. She had tattoos all over her body (the large body art kind), multiple piercings, and a shaved head. Her and her family were atheists. Now, I am sure from her description you can imagine the family they swapped with. A very religious conservative family. This family also had some issues and I didn't agree with many of their philosophies. Both families had school aged children.

At one point during the show the "christian mom" wanted to punish the "atheist dad" for not complying with one of her rules. She took him to a shopping center, gave him a Bible, and told him to preach the gospel. Well, he stood on top of a planter, holding the Bible high, yelling that their was no God and a few other things, and then walks over to a trash can and throws the Bible in. You should have seen my kids faces when that happened! She also took the family to a local church where they were welcomed warmly. After the service the Dad said that it had not been a bad experience and if all church's had such nice people in them he might not mind attending one. This got me and the kids talking and we decided that we should pray for this family. We wanted the Christian community to embrace this family and tell them how much God loved them. I thought of this family a lot in the past weeks, something about them had just really touched my heart.

Early last week I had to make a trip to Sams Club before picking the older kids up at school. While standing in the checkout line I noticed the woman in front of me was buying a new study Bible. We began a conversation about Bible Study and the Church's we attended. She was very nice and we had a pleasant one or two minute conversation. When the conversation was over I turned around to start unloading my purchases onto the counter and had the shock of my life. Who do you think was standing right behind me? Yep, you guessed it. Their she was in all of her tattooed and pierced glory waiting to check out with her husband. My first thought was to run. After all, she had just heard my conversation with the woman in front of me about church and Bible study. I am sure that she nor her husband agreed with any part of our conversation and I was a little worried about what they might say to me.

Then IT happened. God started talking to me and it went something like this:

God: Julie, have you not been praying for this family?
Me: Yes.
God: Have you not been asking that Christians would reach out to this family and show them how much I
love them?
Me: Uhh Huh
God: I am answering your prayer. Do you think it was a coincidence that the woman in front of you was
buying a Bible and that you talked about Me for several minutes while this family listened.
Me: I guess not.

Well, I can go into all kinds of detail about the really really good arguments I was giving God as to why I was not the one he really wanted for this job. Wasn't I just a housewife standing in Sams Club with a very crabby three year old? Clearly their were better warriors to send into this battle. But alas, I realized he was sending me, and I decided to trust him and answer the call to duty.

I turned around, introduced myself, and told them I had seen their family on wife swap and had found it very interesting. We had a great conversation, they were very nice (her husband even unloaded my groceries). I was so thankful when it was over that I had not ignored God's call to be his servant.

I began thinking about this encounter again yesterday when I went and visited Laurel Wreath. She had posted a quote on her blog by Dr. Alvin Reid and asked others to write about their thoughts on the matter. Here is the quote;

You act more like a Christian by your influence on the lost, than the saved people you impress.
This got me thinking as to why I was so afraid to talk to this family that day in the middle of Sams Club. Was I afraid that someone I knew might see me talking to the heavily body pierced tattooed lady and think poorly of me? I would hope not, but down deep I am not sure. How many opportunities had I missed to be God's servant because I was afraid of someones reaction or what they might think of me? Many. This is my prayer for today:
Heavenly Father, please help me to always trust you. Help me to listen when you tap me on the shoulder and not make excuses why I can't do something. I pray that this family will come and visit our Church and I will be given the opportunity to sit in the front row with them. I pray they will feel your warm embrace and their lives will be changed on that day.
Amen

Labels:


  posted at 7:05 AM  
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thsi is so wonderful and is similar to several experiences I have had (though never with soeone I have seen on tv. ) He is so very faithful when we obey. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

What an absolutely fantastic story! Really really great. I wrote a short post on Sunday where I was trying to make the point that we are lucky to be able to pray and be a part of these fabulous stories. I wish I had read this before, so I could have linked to you!
Seriously, I'm very excited to see God at work through you!
Thanks for sharing!
Peace.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Amydeanne said...

being uncomfortable is a good thing. It stretches us. Thanks for sharing! What a great post!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Janis Rodgers said...

Great post. You helped them to see God through you and that is great! Blessings!

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Julie - that an incredible story - thank you so much for sharing it. Wow - I know some times God is calling us out of our comfort zone...but it is for His glory and He gave you the words to share. I know that my heart would have thumped like crazy. I would have been scared of not saying the right words...

Blessings to you and yours...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this story, wow.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Fascinating story! God loves to answer our prayers to do His work! Be open to what else He may have you do concerning this couple, or other couples in the future. :0) Thank you for shining your light on the Net!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Julie I LOVED LOVED LOVED this story. Thank you so much for sharing it, thank you so much for follow God's leading. This story really tendered my heart.

Blessings.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Tami said...

GREAT story! And great application. Thanks.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gave me chills.....I thank the Lord that you listened to Him. I also prayed your prayer in agreement with you. Keep us informed! It's amazing how God chooses to answer our prayers :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: