Friday, August 01, 2008
Another Big Change Part ll
The next morning Garrett got up early and we snuggled on the couch and had a talk. I asked him why he was so upset about being home schooled? "What makes you so upset when you think about it" I asked.

"Recces" he replied. "Recces"? I repeated. "Yes, who will I play hand ball with if I don't go to school"? This was his big concern? I was so relieved. Well, we talked out his recces concern and since then he has seemed fine. He even told his friends at football practice the other night, and they seemed to think it was kind of cool. One down one to go.

I found Samantha crying in her closet a few days ago. I went in and hugged her, just held her for a while. Her main concerns were social. She changed schools last year and had made lots of new friends, she just wasn't sure she was up to changing schools again. I have already turned in all the paperwork to join a home school group that has around 40 families in it. She was worried she wouldn't fit in with the other kids. We talked and talked and she seemed to feel better.

A few hours after Samantha and I talked she came to me asking what kind of math she would be learning? She was concerned because she wanted to take Geometry before High School like her older brother had. I told her that could be arranged and let her know I had already been looking for math programs for her (she really likes math). I gave her the catalog I had been looking at and she looked at it for a few minutes and then asked if we could look at it together? "Yes, I said, "But I am making dinner now and it will have to wait a little bit". "OK, she responded, and ran off to the pool to swim with her siblings. After dinner I asked if everyone wanted to go back into the pool. "No, she reminded me, we have to pick out my path program. I want to get started right away"! So much for not wanting to be home schooled.

They are still a little apprehensive about the change which is understandable. I told them that mom was a little scared too. However, we are in this together and I told them that I thought we would all be really glad once we got started.

Once Samantha and Garrett warmed up to the idea of home schooling the older high school boys had to start in with the teasing. I guess now that they weren't completely distraught they felt that they didn't have to be nice to them anymore. Dave and I basically told them that none of that would be tolerated AT ALL. They got the message and stopped immediately.

Our home school group coordinator emailed me yesterday morning letting me know that there group always went on a rock climbing/camping trip each October and she hoped we would be able to come this year. When I told Garrett and Samantha about that they were very excited and said they wanted to go.

The older high school boys asked if they would get to go also? "No" Garrett told them. "It's only for home schooled kids, you go to "real" school where they don't do anything fun. Sorry". You should have seen the look of indignation on there faces at that one. That will teach them to tease there little brother and sister.

Score One for the nine year old.

Labels:


  posted at 3:34 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know at my house, the idea of change is often scarier than the change itself. It sounds like they are already adjusting and getting used to the idea. I hope it works out wonderfully for you!

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

Yea! So glad to hear they're liking the idea more and more. :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

It's good to hear that they are warming up to the idea, but I have to say that I completely understand that they were shocked.

It does sound like there are some special things that will come out of it, not to mention a less chaotic lifestyle.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow, you have lots going on. I'm sure it will all work out for the best. Having them in different schools with such different schedules does sound stressful. Less stress is definately best!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Isn't it funny the things that worry them? I think they will end up loving it. My daughter still says sometimes she wants to go to "real" school. Upon further questioning this last time...she said it was b/c she wanted to ride a bus and have a locker. I told her that we live too close to the school to ride the bus and they don't have lockers in that elementary. So much for that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: