Monday, March 26, 2007
the children can now take the bags off there heads
My husband is "thrifty". He does not like to waste money (unless he is in a sporting goods store in the baseball department) on unnecessary items. He has loosened up quite a bit since we were first married almost 23 years ago, but he is still pretty conservative in the money department. I have come to really see this as a blessing because if it were left to me we would probably be in the poor house. I really really like to spend money.

Anyway, my husband drives a 99 Honda Civic. It is always a mess. He loves it because he doesn't have to worry about it getting scratched or dirty (and it's paid for) and he can throw all of his baseball equipment in their (where it will stay for weeks on end) and he doesn't have to be concerned with how dirty it gets his car. Our children are very embarrassed by this car. They are so embarrassed that I actually find it comical. I take great joy in informing them of the days they will be picked up from school or another event by their father. This is the usual response "He will be coming home first to get your car, right?" UH, no. To which I would always get the necessary eye rolling action coming my way. I always told them not to worry the car would die some day and their dad would be forced to buy another.
My kids really crack me up sometimes, I have heard them secretly whispering to each other to be sure and keep Dad's car in their nightly prayers. Of course the prayer was not for longevity but that it would just die and Dad would be forced to get another.

Last week their prayers were answered. The little red car wouldn't start. The problem turned out to be relatively minor but we had recently spent around $1,000 on some maintenance and we were both concerned that this could turn into a big money pit. Hubby agreed it was time for an upgrade. Can I get a Hallelujah and Amen, please! Truth be told I really didn't like the little red car either so I was almost as excited as the kids.

We began our Internet search for the perfect car, that of course, wouldn't cost to much money. Our oldest son was not quite about voicing his disappointment that we would not be buying a BMW, Escalade, or a Lexus. In other words, we were looking for another loser car. I tried to explain to him that we did have college to pay for and it would be nice to take a vacation once in a while but he was unmoved. We were such a disappointment. Why couldn't we be like other kids parents and actually get a cool car????

We decided on a Nissan Altima. I had saved some money knowing this day was probably coming soon so I INSISTED that hubby get the sports and technology package which really make this car look snazzy. We picked it up yesterday, and I could tell even the hubster was excited. The younger kids all thought it was great but oldest son wasn't so sure. Until he drove in it. Then he informed me it was way cool. And did I know it had a 265 hp engine? He predicted his Dad would have his first speeding ticket by Wednesday. I assured him he wouldn't.

I really hope I don't regret the death of the little red car....

Labels:


  posted at 10:36 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers
About Me...

Name:
Julie


I am a spontaneous, out going, daughter of the King, who is married to a wonderful guy who is a quiet, shy, non-spontaneous, scientist who also loves the Lord. Truly a match made in heaven! We fight and argue, love and laugh, every single day. I am passionate about orphan care and love to tell our story to anyone who will listen. This blog is dedicated to that journey.

My Complete Profile


Cast Of Charachters



Me and Samantha (13)


Tyler (16) with Grandpa and Grandma


Hubby and Zach (18) at a game


Garrett (11) and Paige (6)


Waiting for a court date!


The Gang


Jo Jo


Sydney


Mr. Fluffy Bottoms

People I Love To Visit

Blessed By Adoption

Homeschooling Friends

Words To Live By
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."
~Psalm 127
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27



Add Snippets to your site


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


Family-Friendly Blog



Clicks


Kidsites2_copy


The WeatherPixie

Fun Stuff

Recent Entries

Archives

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: